Notifications
Clear all

Premium contents pack

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Scott
Topic starter

Im a brand new moxf owner, and completely new to worksation keyboards. I have a few questions that probably sound pretty silly to some but oh well. First, will I have to copy the instructional video that's on the flash drive to my computer or somewhere seeing how the flash drive will have to be plugged into the keyboard to transfer files? Also, if the expansion module only holds 512 mb, will any of the data that's being imported stay on the module or is there enough space in the keyboard to hold all the new sounds offered? Guess I don't quite understand the entire concept of how the process works. Any help would be really appreciated 🙂 Thx, Scott M.

Posted : 25/01/2016 6:32 am
Bad Mister

Hi Scott, welcome To Yamaha Synth.

You can insert that USB stick into an available USB port on your computer. Copy the data to make a safety backup.
The video files can be played from this copy on the computer.

When you plug the USB drive into the MOXF, the MOXF's File management system is what we call "context sensitive" - a fancy phrase to say it will only show data that it can actually use. It can see different folders, but if that folder contains a file type that the MOXF itself cannot use, it will not even show it.

The video file is "invisible" to the MOXF. You will never see a file in the MOXF's screen if it is not of a specific file TYPE.

Posted : 26/01/2016 4:24 am
Scott
Topic starter

Thanks, now that ive wrapped my head around this process, ive run into a few snags. first, I noticed there is no cs80 folder within the package. Is this file not available for some reason? hope Im not missing too much. Also, when I tried to load the "insp in a flash" I keep getting the error message "sample memory full" Are you familiar with what could be causing this error? I have followed your steps closely and made sure the file type is set correctly, etc. Otherwise, thanks for your support

Posted : 27/01/2016 12:01 am
Bad Mister

The FLASH BOARD has a learning curve. We can help you with it. I guess the first thing to understand is exactly what it provides as a feature advantage, then it easier to understand the problem it solves and then you can know where to look to troubleshoot it.

In a sample-based synthesizer, the sound source is not a simple voltage oscillator circuit as in an analog synth, it is a high resolution digital audio recording. And this data has to be manipulated and it can be quite large (the maximum size of a single Sample is 64MB, and 256 Samples at maximum can be used in a single Waveform, and at maximum 8 Waveforms can be used in a VOICE!)

Yamaha gives you 3,977 Waveforms in the Preset Wave ROM - all of the Preset reference this set of Waveforms. What a Flash Board does for you is it allows you to select 2,048 of your own favorite Waveforms from various Libraries, so that you can have access to them every time you power on your MOXF... without any waiting for the data to load!!!

A MOXF Voice is made up of the following basic component blocks:
An OSCILLATOR > a FILTER > an AMPLIFIER

As mentioned an analog synth simply uses voltage to cause a circuit to buzz at specific frequencies (1 volt per octave), the sample-based synth uses a high resolution recordings (10MB per stereo minute) to act as the sound source. While a single Voice without the Oscillator might use 2KB of data, the sampled Oscillator may be huge (Chick Corea's MarkV is 400MB of data to create the oscillations). The price you pay for the big, high resolution audio is it takes a significant amount of time to load - if you had to load it each and every time you turned on the instrument.

FLASH - backs up your selection's Waveform/Sample data and keeps it in a type of memory that is fast enough to respond to your NOTE-ON Commands in real time. "Flash" in the name has to do with this very fast access time. The big advantage is every time you turn on your MOXF, your favorite audio data is ready to be accessed. No waiting!

We can certainly help you, but saying you have the Premium Content Pack is helpful but more helpful would be the exact name of the file. This will tell us how to instruct you about loading the data. The CONTENT PACK may differ in different markets (so the file name will help).

Each File has an extension - basically three characters after the dot. This extension tell us about the FILE TYPE and how to proceed.
Since it is possible that you have a Motif XF file that need to be converted or you may have the MOXF version which will load straight away.

If you are getting started, the first thing you need to know about your FLASH BOARD:
The data installed on FLASH cannot be OVERWRITTEN, not by mistake, not on purpose. New data is always *added* to the end of the Waveform List, or to the lowest numbered empty location.

There are only two ways to remove data that has been installed on FLASH is to either DELETE it, or FORMAT the board.

So if you have previously attempted to load data, and then later try and reinstall the data at a later time, you will wind up with duplicate data. This is very easy when you are new to the FLASH BOARD concept. Remember, data on the FLASH BOARD is not OVERWRITTEN, you can overwrite USER VOICES - in the USER 1, USER 2, and USER 3 VOICE banks, but we are talking about the OSCILLATOR data on the Flash Board, it is never removed by simply overwriting a Voice that uses a WAVEFORM... This is an important thing to understand.

The same Waveform could be used in a number of VOICES. so the WAVEFORM data is keep in one place (on the Flash Board) while the rest of the VOICE's parameters are in the internal MOXF. Once you install data to YOUR Flash Board, you should make a back up directly from YOUR MOXF... This way, when want to use a VOICE from that library, YOUR Waveform List will be referenced. YOUR Waveform list is the only one that "knows" where to find the data. You can select NOT to reload the WAVEFORMS if you know they are already in memory. You will see a box that lets you select to LOAD Waveforms - it they are already installed on Flash, the loading the library only loads the 2kB of small data in seconds, rather than waiting for the audio data to be restored (long and slow)...

So until you learn not to load the same data over and over - you will run into the "Sample Memory Full" - this happens only when you Load without knowing how to set the LOAD OPTIONS. Whether to LOAD with or without the Waveforms, with or without the Samples.

Press [FILE]
Press [F6] FLASH
Press [SF2] DELETE
Here you can see a list of the installed WAVEFORMS on your FLASH BOARD, 0001~2048
Use the Data Dial to scroll the list... Knowing how many Waveforms you have loaded when you load a Library is important information. Inspiration in a Flash has about 350 or 351 Waveforms in it (sorry, I'm not near a MOXF) but that is around how many - if you have 600 or 900 or more, on the list you may have installed the same data, multiple times.

In such a case you should FORMAT your board and begin clean.

What is the exact name of the FILE you are loading?

Posted : 27/01/2016 1:20 am
Scott
Topic starter

The file name is INSPNAFL

Posted : 28/01/2016 1:05 am
Scott
Topic starter

When I get a chance I'll give it another shot. Start over as you suggested, re-format the expansion module, etc. thx.

Posted : 28/01/2016 1:18 am
Bad Mister

Scott wrote:

The file name is INSPNAFL

Its really the three characters AFTER the dot that I was interested in.

INSPNAFL.X3A or INSPNAFL.X6A etc.,

Posted : 28/01/2016 2:56 pm
Scott
Topic starter

Well, I got it to work, I'm guessing that I hadn't reformated the flashboard properly last time. Thanks, btw the suffix on the file is .X6A.
Now the part im not understanding is how to sort through all these sounds now that they're in the keyboard memory, organize them, etc.

Posted : 30/01/2016 8:50 pm
Bad Mister

Excellent. Now that you have the library loaded, take your time and audition the VOICES. This is the most important time in your evaluation. Because you are going to decide which VOICES you like - like choosing players for you band, like choosing an instrument for your compositions, you are auditioning and evaluating whether or not you will ever use a particular VOICE.

If you think it is one you would like to have access to at any time in the future, make note of it. Create a list...
If you come across sounds that you know you will never, ever, in a month of rainy Sundays, use for your music, there will be no reason to keep the WAVEFORMS and SAMPLES that are used in those VOICEs taking up space on your FLASH BOARD.

All you need to do is make a note of those you like, because in a separate FLASH SESSION - you will format that Board, and this time load only those VOICES that you've evaluated are worth keeping. The MOXF will be able to load the VOICE data and automatically organize the WAVEFORMS and SAMPLES that get written to your FLASH BOARD. By loading only the VOICES you like, the MOXF will only install the data required for those VOICES.

This economy is necessary, because there is no good reason on earth to keep a WAVEFORM and its SAMPLES on your FLASH BOARD if you will never, ever use the VOICES that are made from it. Now, if you think you might change you mind in the future, keep the original file in a safe place, you can always load them in later... that is the beauty of FLASH - it doesn't disappear until you want it to!

Once you have picked through and loaded all the VOICES you like from the Inspiration in a Flash library, make your own BACKUP ALL data file WITH SAMPLES... so that you have a record of your FLASH BOARD. Name the File something new ... something so you KNOW this is YOUR file. YOUR Selected version of that Library. Do not mix it up with the original FILE - they are different. If you don't understand why they are different - you will be doomed to confusion in the future.

YOUR selections of data, creates a unique to your MOXF, Waveform List. The MOXF catalogs where each Waveform is placed, it also catalogs every VOICE that uses a specific Waveform. And it will write your WAVEFORM List into YOUR files from now on.

Any time you add new Waveforms to your Flash Board, they will go to the end of the list, and you will need to make a new ALL data file WITH SAMPLES backup of you new Waveform list. See how it works?

Posted : 30/01/2016 9:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us