Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Programming MOXF8

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I'm new to the world of synthesizers, being used to a Yamaha acoustic piano and I'm navigating my way around my new MOXF8. I can program sounds ok but I'm trying to change the voice sound of the grand piano so it creates a delay sound. The sound you get when you hit the key only once but the sound is produced several times, like an echo effect. I can't work out which parameters or elements to change in order to get this sound. I've tried changing the delay, reverb etc but can't seem to produce the sound I want. Are you able to walk it through as to which buttons I need to use to do this?
thanks

Posted : 05/10/2015 8:54 am
Bad Mister

Leanne wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the world of synthesizers, being used to a Yamaha acoustic piano and I'm navigating my way around my new MOXF8. I can program sounds ok but I'm trying to change the voice sound of the grand piano so it creates a delay sound. The sound you get when you hit the key only once but the sound is produced several times, like an echo effect. I can't work out which parameters or elements to change in order to get this sound. I've tried changing the delay, reverb etc but can't seem to produce the sound I want. Are you able to walk it through as to which buttons I need to use to do this?
thanks

Yes, we can. Welcome to Yamaha Synth, Leanne.

Editing the acoustic piano sound can be done in several different modes. We'll start by giving you the most basic and fundamentally useful methods, by editing the Voice in VOICE mode. You are given PRESETs (permanent sounds programmed at the factory) and USER locations. USER locations are where you can STORE any custom sounds and edits you've done to the factory sounds. There are nine banks of 128 Preset normal Voices and one bank of 72 Preset drum kit Voices. You can store 384 User normal Voices and 32 User drum kit Voices.

Call up the acoustic piano Voice you wish to edit. You don't specify so we'll use the "Full Concert Grand" as an example.
Each VOICE in Voice mode has access to the following Effects:

2 Insertion Effects: these are programmed as apart of the Voice and can be routed to on a per Oscillator basis. Meaning each tone source within a Voice can be routed individually to one or the other, both or neither of the two selected Insert Effects. This allows a Voice that is Piano + Strings to have separate effects on the strings from the piano, and so on.

2 System Effects: these are programmable per Voice but are not apart of the Voice in the same way as the Insert Effects. The Insert Effects are those that are personally and directly routed by the Voice. The SYSTEM EFFECTS - which include Reverberation (Reverb) and Time Delay (Chorus) effects. Think of these as "external" - meaning these are effects that are added via a Send/Return setup very analogous to connecting to the band's or studio's mixing console. Think AUXILIARY Sends on a console. Not apart of the instrument, more apart of the system.

1 Master Effect: this is added overall to the MOXF, and can be thought of as like a DJ-effect... Meaning the farthest removed from the original tone. There is a guitar Voice, it's INSERT EFFECTs might be a wah-wah and overdrive (the player adjusts these in real time via controllers), the guitar is routed to the band's mixer where the engineer uses the Aux Sends to feed the Reverb and a time delay effect (SYSTEM), finally, the Master Effect can and is only applied to the entire (all Parts) mix... So adding effects here will effect the entire musical program together (like a DJ, can't turn an effect on just one instrument only the entire mix).

Okay, all that to give you an understanding that you can accomplish putting an echo (which falls under the "time delay" effect category, at any of these stages... If you make the echo effect with an INSERT EFFECT it becomes a real time controllable effect that will travel with the Voice when you go to Performance mode or to Song/Pattern Mixing modes. The Insert Effect becomes a working part of this Voice.
If you make the echo effect using the SYSTEM EFFECT it will not necessarily travel with the Voice when you place the Voice in a Performance or Mixing setup, where all the other Parts will have access to them via Aux Sends... This is ideal for when you several instruments that you wish to share the effect. Like Reverb... All instruments in an ensemble share the same "room acoustics" - System Effects can be thought of as "external 'room' acoustics".
Finally, the MASTER EFFECT simply takes all instruments together and effects them all together.

One is not better than the other- each has its use case.

Start by programming the VOICE in VOICE mode as an INSERT EFFECT.
Call up Full Concert Grand
Press [F6] EFFECT> to take the shortcut to the Effect Edit CONNECT screen. Here you can see an overview of the effect connections within this Voice
You can move the cursor around to explore the various parameters.

Press [SF2] INS A (Insert A)
You could change this EQ to a DELAY by highlighting the CATEGORY and changing it to DELAY. There are several Delay algorithms to choose from, those designated "tempo" will automatically reference the clock setting of your MOXF (delay times will be set by musical subdivisions.

This should get you started... Find settings that you like and finally press [STORE] and write your newly edited Voice to a User bank location.

For more details on the MOXF effects please see the following in depth article:
Introducing The MOXF EFFECTS

Posted : 05/10/2015 12:13 pm
Topic starter

That's awesome. I don't think I would have ever figured that out by myself. Thanks also for such a quick reply.
Yay!

Posted : 05/10/2015 12:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us