Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Question about maintaining A/D IN settings

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Phil - I have a problem that I should be able to solve but it is perplexing me. It has to do with the GM Reset command message: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7. In setting up my MIDI files, I have of course included that message to clear out the TG settings. Fine. It works great. Lately, however, I've been running my guitar through the A/D IN using the on-boards EFFECTS, which candidly are just terrific (I'm no longer using my amp or pedals!). You can see where this is going. I've got a number of nice guitar PRESETS now established, but when I load a SONG from the USB stick and hit EXEC, of course the GM MIDI command resets everything including the A/D IN settings.

Is there a way to SAVE/STORE the A/D IN settings within a MIDI file so that they are not removed when the general MIDI reset command is executed?

Thanks, David

Posted : 17/04/2018 12:10 pm
Bad Mister

In setting up my MIDI files, I have of course included that message to clear out the TG settings. Fine.

Not fine if it does not setup the instrument exactly as you need it. While a GM RESET seems like a good idea, it does not serve you for the A/D Input Part. The MOXF is not an official GM logo carrying unit, ...it responds to GM Reset and has a bank of 128 programs that match the GM patch Map, and it features a GM Drum Kit. GM modules do not have to store your 16 Part setups, they use a RESET which returns all settings to a known default setting (starting point) then the data in the MIDI data, “Setup Bar”, re-programs each Part with Channel based Control Change messages, Bank Select and Program Changes, etc.. This allows GM modules to be made rather inexpensively, since they do not have to feature the type of user memory (expensive memory) that can store your complete setup on board the module, including Effect selection and other programming edits.

You need to move away from depending on the GM RESET, and use the MOXF’s built-in memory (the expensive kind) that does memorize every setting for each of you 16 synth Parts and your A/D Input, including the Effects and setup. (Everything but the analog setting for Gain).

I know what I am proposing is a lot of work, but it is a lot less work than learning to program everything you want using System Exclusive Parameter Change messages for each Part.

What I’m proposing is using the MOXFs memory to store your Multi-timbral setups... there are 64 MIXING locations in SONG mode and another 64 in PATTERN mode. Doing so will allow you store all settings for all Parts... you can then remove the GM RESET and the Setup bar... when you want to play a MIDI FILE simply recall the appropriate (named) Song or Pattern MIXING location.

Posted : 18/04/2018 9:46 am
Topic starter

Hi Phil - yes, of course, your suggested approach makes total sense. I had created the MIDI files some time ago, but it is time to update them! I'll let you know if I run into any problems with setting up the MIXING templates . Great idea! Thanks as always. David

Posted : 18/04/2018 3:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us