Notifications
Clear all

Seeing what bar / beat you are up to in Performance mode

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm relatively new to paying with any sort of drums. I am playing around with assigning drums to a voice (therefore entering performance mode).

My problem is that sometimes I get a bit lost as to what beat I'm on and I find it hard to recover confidently without stopping playing and re-feel the beat, and sometimes even having to re-trigger the arps afresh.

In record mode you get a counter on the LCD but I cant find any way of getting one when in straight out performance mode.

Any suggestions / tips? At this stage it seems I would just need to get really familiar with the arps as a backstop of knowing where I'm at - but this seems pretty limiting as the MOFX is all about trying new ideas.

Thanks, Andrew.

Posted : 18/11/2014 2:25 pm
Ave
 Ave

The only solution I can come up with is using "Direct Performance Record" to put your performance in a pattern or song with a beat/bar reference.
You would also gain the ability to change the tempo.
Let us know how it works out.

Ave

Posted : 18/11/2014 8:03 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Ave, thats the only way I could find too. I will try it a bit more but because it automatically takes you out of record mode into song mode when you stop playing I am worried it will take me on a merry ride in a live situation.

Do you know if this is a standard feature on other keyboards?

Posted : 19/11/2014 1:15 am
Garry

Hi Andrew,

CopyPerfParm On/Off switch On to copy performance settings to song/pattern mode (very useful)
KeyOnStart On/Off switch on to sync recording with your first key press.. easier that using a count in 😉 .
Performance->Rec->Other->MoveToRecMode On/Off Switch it OFF

I always have this set to off so I can make multiple passes at recording (without leaving performance mode) until I have the take I want.
Then I switch to song/pattern mode when Im happy.

When in song/pattern mode,
If you press the rec button again while recording it stops recording so that you can rehearse the part,
or just take a break. You can drop back in again at any time you like by pressing record for a third time. Nice.
Lastly if you make a mistake while recording let it keep looping then press the Erase button then hold down the
key responsible for the bum note, it will be erased when it reaches that part of the patter/song. These couple of
tips will make recording much more fluid so that you can concentrate on the music NOT the manual. 🙂

Have Fun.

CaTfOoD

Posted : 21/11/2014 9:43 pm
Topic starter

Thankyou Gary - I will have a crack at this!

Cheers, Andrew 🙂

Posted : 04/12/2014 12:04 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us