Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Should I slave the MOXF6 or have it slave my laptop

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

My existing setup is a MOXF that I usually run in Pattern MIXING mode for seamless sound switching. (using onboard Pattern Parts buttons, etc)

My new setup now is the same + Mainstage program (I would refer ot is as "MS" from this point on) on a mac that I basically use to host SoftSynths + Akai MIDI controller for MS.

I want to integrate.

Idea #1:
Master Mode on MOXF that will send program changes to MS to change on laptop (works, no surprise. MS changes patches).

While this works and conceptually the way to go about controlling "other" synths/modules, I can not get Master to call up a Pattern in MIXING mode - my preferred mode. I need to be in pattern MIXING mode to do what I used to do and take advantage of all the setup done already (splits, layers, etc). Master Mode can only call Pattern Mode (not in MIXING), I mean among other modes.

Idea #2:
Use MS to send SysEx to make MOXF go into Pattern Mode, Then use SysEx to go into Pattern MIXING mode. Then, yet another SysEx to change to the correct Pattern Program. Problem is, I can not find info on these SyEx messages (the MIXING mode SysEx message at least. I have not tried nor looked for the Pattern Program SysEx message). Advantage is if I can work it out this way, I can just use my existing Pattern setups and jsut supplement with MS stuff. I really prefer this "Idea", actually

I have tried changing to the main modes via SysEx: Voice, Performance, master, etc. That is very much do-able and nice. I just don't have the pattern MIXING Mode SysEx message down.

Any help/suggestion is very much appreciated.

- Dodgie

Posted : 14/11/2016 10:40 pm
Bad Mister

Idea 1:
Actually, when you recall the Master that recalls either the Song or Pattern, the MIXING associated with that Song or Pattern is automatically recalled. To access your 16 stored Parts, simply ensure the

button is lit. Initially, Part [1] will be selected, and the name of the assigned Voice to Part 1 will appear on the second line of the screen. You can move seamlessly between any of 16 Parts by using the

buttons. As you do the name of the Voice assigned to that slot will appear on the second line.

So there is no need to additionally select a Mixing. It is automatically recalled when the Master recalls the Song or Pattern number. There are 64 Songs, each with its own Mixing, there are 64 Patterns, each with its own Mixing. You gain access to selecting Parts by transmitting via the Track 1-16. As long as that

button is illuminated, the buttons [1]-[16] determine MIDI transmit. You transmit via the Track to the Part.

Idea 2:
Yikes, sounds like your working too hard. 🙂 Now that you know the Master recalls the Song or Pattern, and the Song or Pattern automatically recalls the associated Mixing, and you know that all you need do is light that

button to access your assigned Parts, you can adjust (simplify) your commands. Please let us know how this works out and what you come up with. You should be able to stay in Master mode - use a single Sysex Command to select the Master number, recalling the Master will do the rest. Once your

button is lit - it should persist (stay that way)... until you change it to access some other function. In other words, moving from Master to Master, it should remain active giving you access to your Mixing setups.
Let us know.

Posted : 15/11/2016 2:03 pm
Topic starter

(Palm to forehead!). yes, the Track button was not lit when my Master recalls the Pattern/Song so my "choose my track to transmit for seamless sound" way of doing things did not initially work. Having Track Button lit fixed it. Thanks a lot! HOWEVER, the following is not true, it goes back to "off" state WHEN USING SysEx to move from Master to another Master:

Quote:
"Once your

button is lit - it should persist (stay that way)... until you change it to access some other function. In other words, moving from Master to Master, it should remain active giving you access to your Mixing setups."

🙁 if it did stay lit from Master to Master via SysEx, it will be perfect.

Posted : 15/11/2016 3:23 pm
Bad Mister

Maybe it only stays when you advance programs using the MOXF front panel (that's why it's there) - I don't think they were thinking about what happens when you send in a command from an external device. (Good to know though).

Posted : 15/11/2016 7:15 pm
Topic starter

yes, only via front panel that it stays on. Thanks again!

Posted : 15/11/2016 8:01 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us