Notifications
Clear all

Trying to Trigger my PSR-730 with my MOXF-8

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Vincent
Topic starter

Hi folks just looking for a bit of advice. I have a MOXF-8 and I just pulled out of my store room, my old PSR-730 (1997) it works fine and I thought I'd give it a whirl. Anyway, I am trying to trigger the 730 using the MOXF, and I can't get the 730 to see the MOXF. I have my MIDI cables connected IN to OUT and OUT to IN as is usually the method. And I've gone through the MIDI options in the 730 and think I have them setup correctly. But I'm not sure how I should have the MOXF setup. I went to utility and made sure the MIDI I/O is set to MIDI and not USB, but not sure what else I need to look at. I had a setup like this some time ago with a Tyros3 and a Privia PX-330 and I was able to get that working fine, but this seems a bit more involved. I tried the 6 different configurations and they don't seem to work either - I did go back to setup #4 when I was done trying them also. I know I am missing something that will make me smack my my forehead when I finally get it but not sure what yet. I'm also going to go through the MOXF in and Out Video I may have seen something in there also.

Posted : 10/12/2014 10:31 pm
Bad Mister

Let's try to eliminate the things that will not work - because this is a basic MIDI OUT to MIDI IN connection.

If what you want to do is trigger the PSR730 from the MOXF8 you definitely need OUT of the MOXF to IN on the PSR730. If you additionally wish to trigger the MOXF from the PSR, connect its MIDI OUT to the MOXF's MIDI IN.
You definitely want to set the "HOST SELECT" switch = MIDI (PSR730 back panel)
You definitely need to set the MOXF MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI
You also want to set the QUICK SETUP #4 Standalone (all of the others deal with computer connectivity and are therefore inappropriate)

You mentioned this setup and it should work. I'm sure you tried the other QUICK SETUP settings because, for whatever, reason this didn't work initially. So with these settings made, let's begin to troubleshoot. I'm going to hazard a guess you neglected to set the HOST SELECT switch on the back of the PSR. If that is not it, let us know.

I would expect that CLOCK SYNCHRONIZATION will be next. Select the device that is in control as the 'master' clock and set the other to follow (MIDI clock Sync = MIDI) as 'slave'. It's called "MIDI SYNC" in the MOXF and "EXT CLOCK" in the PSR.

Also in the MOXF you have parameters for CLOCK OUT ON/OFF, and SEQUENCER CONTROL, That allow you send Clock out and send/receive transport commands (start/stop/continue, song locate).

Posted : 10/12/2014 10:52 pm
Vincent
Topic starter

As usual it was a dopey pilot error, and you are completely correct I did have the "Host Select" switch set to "PC2" I set it to MIDI and it is working perfectly now. Thank You So Very Much. I figured what a shame it was to leave the old PSR-730 in it's case, not doing anything. this will add a new level of enjoyment to both of these keyboards..Thanks Again..

Posted : 10/12/2014 11:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us