Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

VST window keyboard

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I really want to be able to use the keyboard in the moxf VST window to record with. I like what I can do by gliding the mouse across multiple keys, no way can I get the same effect using the physical keyboard or pitch bend ( maybe there's an effect that does this, I don't know of it.)

But I have not figured out a way to record using the keyboard in the VST window. Perhaps it doesn't generate MIDI in the usual fashion

If anyone has figured this out, let me know, thanks

Posted : 12/12/2014 7:20 am
Bad Mister

I really want to be able to use the keyboard in the moxf VST window to record with.

No you don't! 🙂 ... Not really.

I usually don't ask why some one wants to do something... But the computer screen is not designed to "play" on. It's there to trigger the tone generator of the MOXF... like when you need to audition a sound. It also acts as a MIDI ACTIVITY MONITOR - as it will show what notes are being output by the currently selected MIDI Track.

But the reason you cannot use it to "play" data for a track a matter of signal flow. It is because your MIDI IN for the track is not set to receive MIDI information from the Editor. When you are setup properly the MIDI Track is typically set to receive data (IN) from the MOXF keyboard.

The MIDI track Outputs MIDI data to the Editor which, in turn, routes it through to the MOXF hardware.

I'm not sure what you are attempting or why, and I've never done it, but it's not working due to the routing of signal goes the other direction;

MOXF as controller (local Off) >> MIDI Track (IN) >> MIDI Track (OUT) >> MOXF VST Editor (IN) >> MOXF as tone generator... From here you have Audio... The audio can be sent (directly) to the main Outputs or it can be returned to the DAW as "virtual" audio for further processing.

Posted : 12/12/2014 3:07 pm
Topic starter

I really do want to do it, because I could get MIDI data for a rapid series of keys being hit as I slide my mouse along the VST keyboard, BUT I expected this answer

Maybe I can figure out another way to get the same sound from another method.

Posted : 13/12/2014 8:03 am
Bad Mister

You can make the MIDI Tracks MIDI IN = MOXF VST - MIDI OUT
This literally, makes the output of the Editor send the other direction - to the MIDI Track. I thought I hinted as much in the last post. It id not work because the normal direction of the the signal flow is from the MOXF Keyboard to the Track's MIDI IN - then the MIDI Track OUT to the EDITOR and then to the MOXF Tone engine.

You want to set it so the MIDI IN = "MOXF VST - MIDI OUT" now the keys of the editor will send data to the MIDI In of the Track. Not typical - but nothing prevents you from doing this. (make sure you MUTE the AUDIO LANE to prevent doubling).

Posted : 13/12/2014 8:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us