Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using MOXF GM sounds (as external MIDI instrument, plugged in USB) to have nice music when playing games like DOOM or System Shock (which are playing complex MIDI tracks)

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,
I heard it was possible with some synths, so that MIDI files have access to all General MIDI Voices available on the synth, for super high quality playback !
I managed to install things correctly, to set the MIDI USB port 1 as default, and I can play MIDI files on my computer with Songs or Patterns, but it only uses 16 MIDI Voices that are already chosen in the Song or the Pattern, is it possible to configure the MOXF to act as a MIDI orchestra ready to play the correct instruments listed in the MIDI file ?

Any information would be much appreciated !
Thank you !

EDIT : when I go to the GM bank and play a MIDI track, the right instruments are used it seems, but only one is used !

Posted : 13/06/2016 8:15 pm
Bad Mister

The MOXF is not, strictly speaking, GM compatible. It does have a bank of 128 program listed in GM order and a GM drum kit. But it is not a logo'd GM device. This pseudo-GM bank allows it to respond to properly prepared GM files.

Go to SONG/PATTERN mode
Select a blank Song or Pattern
Press [MIXING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Mark the box for "GM"
Press [ENTER] to execute
This will setup a GM Template... Hopefully the game data sends the program changes.

Posted : 13/06/2016 10:16 pm
Topic starter

This looks like exactly what I was looking for thank you !!

When I press enter to initialize current mix on the song/pattern with GM switch marked, It plays the right instruments sent by the midi file !
There is a limitation though, since a song/pattern seems to have a maximum of 16 MIDI voices, when the MIDI file have like 22, I'm not really sure what happens, it looks like it's taking a piano as fallback for missing instruments or something like that. I'm really novice in that kind of stuff as you may have guessed !
Do you think there is a way to bypass the 16 limit ? I saw an option labeled "chain", can it be... ?

I was using virtual MIDI synthesizers with soundfonts before, thought using a physical synth could be cool since I own one, and honestly it is ^^ I can hear the lag when the instruments switches though ^^

Posted : 14/06/2016 3:36 am
Bad Mister

When I press enter to initialize current mix on the song/pattern with GM switch marked, It plays the right instruments sent by the midi file !
There is a limitation though, since a song/pattern seems to have a maximum of 16 MIDI voices, when the MIDI file have like 22, I'm not really sure what happens, it looks like it's taking a piano as fallback for missing instruments or something like that. I'm really novice in that kind of stuff as you may have guessed !
Do you think there is a way to bypass the 16 limit ? I saw an option labeled "chain", can it be... ?

No, General MIDI has a built-in limit of 16 channels. So there is no "like 22" or any fallback for missing instruments, but as mentioned GM is not officially implemented on Yamaha pro synths

Posted : 14/06/2016 6:12 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the information, it has been very helpful on my understanding of MIDI music.
So for a game, if it uses GM standard, it can never have more than 16 audio channels for music right ?
So if there is the need for a 17th instrument for example, it has to replace the instrument of an already used channel ?

Posted : 20/06/2016 2:32 pm
Bad Mister

There are 16 channels in MIDI. This means in a simple setup you can have a sixteen piece band... As is the case with music some instruments are tacit during portions of the song, you can use a device called a Program Change event to switch the instrument occupying that slot. Perhaps a sound effect is only used during the introduction, after its finished, you can insert a Program Change event to change the instrument on that track.

Posted : 20/06/2016 4:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us