Notifications
Clear all

Weird behavior when using the knobs to send midi controller information

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Kim
Topic starter

I have been using my Motif XS8 in my studio as my main controller for years. While it's in the shop to have some issues taken care of, I am using my MOXF8 as a controller, hooked up via USB to my Mac running OS X 10.12.6. I have Yamaha's USB driver 1.9.10 installed. I have an expression pedal connected to the MOXF and assigned to midi controller #11 - works great. But any midi controller #'s sent by the front panel knobs are giving me problems. Basically no matter which knob/controller # - the midi control showing up in my DAW (Logic Pro X) shows the message just rabidly going back and forth in a small range of the control messages - from about a value of 60 - 70. I can see it real time in a midi input display - no matter how fast or slow I turn the knobs the MOXF - I get what looks like only message 65.
The MOXF shows up in my AudioMidiSetup with 5 midi ports, so I have a hunch maybe several ports are transmitting controller data at the same time - confusing the data stream. Is there anything I can do to just get a normal, clean stream of midi controller data from the front panel knobs, just like I AM getting from the expression pedal? Thanks

Posted : 16/09/2017 6:22 am
Bad Mister

You only want to capture the MIDI data on PORT 1.

Port 1 is used by the MOXF for Note-On, Controller, Tempo... the things you want to record to your MIDI Tracks.

The other Ports should NOT be merged with the PORT 1 data.

Port 2 is exclusively for Remote Control Surface communication. The [DAW REMOTE] button is hit and the Logic Pro Remote template selected. Isolate Port 2 for Control Surface commands in LogicPro

Port 3 is used exclusively for an external device connected to the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel. When connected to a computer via USB, the MIDI Ports are available for an external device to connect to the computer through the MOXF - this external device will be seen as "Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-3 (port3)"

Port 4 is reserved for the "Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone /VST"
If you're using Logic Pro can run the Editor as a separate application and communicate with it via Port 4.

Port 5 is for the Moxf's Remote Editor (this let's you setup customer control templates for external VSTi) it comes with templates for 50 of the most popular plugin synths.

Posted : 17/09/2017 3:17 pm
 Kim
Topic starter

I have no way of selecting which port is used, seems to all be handled from the Yamaha Midi driver. In the Mac Audio/Midi set up I can see there are 5 ports, but no option to engage/disengage any of them.
If Logic used more than one port I guess that would be reflected in double triggered notes etc - which I don't get.
And there are no problems with the midi controller data generated by the expression pedal - it works as it should. Only the knobs behave very strange.
I have never encountered this problem using my Motif XS8 - all faders and knobs send the appropriate midi controllers, connected the same way and obviously communicating via the same USB driver. So it seems to me, it must be a setting on the MOXF

Posted : 19/09/2017 3:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us