Notifications
Clear all

Audio/MIDI USB Interface Question

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Does the single cable USB audio/MIDI interface work the same on the MX as the MOXF? I posted and received an answer re the single USB cable on an MOXF discussion, but I am wondering if the answer would be the same for the MX. The reason I am asking is because if so, I assume I can MIDI out my CP4 into the MX, connect the MX via USB cable to my iPad (camera connection kit), trigger MIDI in (and out) of the iPad via the CP4 (routed through the MX) and at the same time have digital audio out from the iPad into the MX and routed from the MX into my mixer. In other words, an MX49 could serve me as an audio/MIDI iOS interface even if I did not need the other capabilities of the MX. Other than the MOXF, the only product I know of that can function in this manner as a simultaneous audio/MIDI digital interface with an iOS device without requiring the use of a computer is a product that costs about $150 more than the MX49. That makes the MX49 a bargain even if just used for this interface. As always, thanks in advance for the information.

Posted : 06/09/2015 7:13 pm
Bad Mister

Does the single cable USB audio/MIDI interface work the same on the MX as the MOXF?

Yes, and no. Yes, it works as an Audio and MIDI Interface for the MX via a single USB cable connection.

This means you can use the same Yamaha Steinberg USB driver to address MIDI on 4 ports of communication:
Port 1 is Music data (note-ons, controllers, tempo, etc)
Port 2 is Remote Control functions for DAWs (Cubase, Sonar, DP, LogicPro)
Port 3 is a MIDI interface for one external device via the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks
Port 4 is not used, however.
Port 5 is for creating custom VSTi control templates

The same Yamaha Steinberg USB driver will address a stereo audio bus connection (2-in/2-out) letting you use the MX as its own audio interface with a Windows or Macintosh computer. The MOXF additionally, has an A/D INPUT which it can route to the computer for a 4-in/2-out setup. Naturally, it is a bit more money for this type of connectivity. The MOXF also uses Port 4 for its VST Editor... no VST Editor was developed for the MX49/61.

No, it does not have a similar ability to use the iOS driver for audio (and iOS device cannot run anybody else's drivers). You can connect the MX to an iPad/iPhone etc, via a Camera Connection Kit adapter (USB-Lightning) for MIDI communication only. It does not have the same capability as its bigger brother the MOXF in this regard (audio). So an iPad/iPhone will not be able to interpret audio signals coming from the MX49/61.

The MX49/MX61 are still a bargain providing much of the Motif sound set, audio/MIDI communication with a computer, 128 note polyphony and portability. 🙂

Posted : 06/09/2015 11:05 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister for your explanation. Too bad about the iOS audio USB connection, however, I agree with you that the MX49 is a bargain, especially for my purposes (assuming I am correct in the following) as a perfect accessory for my CP4. The CP4 lacks sequencing. So I assume that (1) I can sequence MIDI into the MX49 from the CP4 and record it in the MX sequencer, and (2) I can play drum track arpeggios from the MX49 into the CP4 MIDI Channel 3 assigned to a drum kit and relegated to the lowest note on the CP4 keyboard so that I can use the entire CP4 keyboard (except for the lowest note) for Main and Layer voices while the MX arpeggios are playing drum voices on the CP4. Is this correct? Important to me because in my view the CP4 voices, including drum voices, are far superior to anything else out there. In my opinion, for me as basically a player, the perfect keyboard from Yamaha would be a CP4 with the addition of a sequencer and single cable USB audio/MIDI capable of interfacing with an iPad. Thanks again in advance. Always appreciated!

Posted : 07/09/2015 2:13 am
Bad Mister

Earle,
We are not sure where you are getting your information. But please before you spend money, spend time talking with a sales associate about your requirements. We think you are misreading the specifications of the MX49/MX61.

It does not have a sequencer, at all. It does not have the ability to record MIDI data - so if you read somewhere that this is the case, you have likely misinterpreted the specification. Perhaps you are mixing it up with the MOXF, which has iOS connectivity and has a built-in Sequencer, and has four programmable arpeggiators with over 7800 arpeggio phrases.

The MOXF is the more recent addition to the Yamaha synth line (this is why it has iOS connectivity), it is a Music Production Synthesizer (some say "workstation") basically, this means it has a sequencer and the ability to create your own arpeggios.

The design concept of the MX was to act as *co-processor* for a computer for those looking to do music production at home on a budget. Obviously, the MX is the least expensive of the line-up, so designed for those on a budget... We did not skimp on the sound or the quality of the effects. You get the basic Motif soundest, a 16 Part multi-timbral, 128 note poly tone engine, VCM Effects, DAW remote control functions... And built-in MIDI and Audio connectivity. To turn it into a Music Production system, it does requires a computer, however.

We think a customer looking to get started might not have too much invested in a laptop. What they wind up trying to do is use that laptop as their sequencer recorder, they use a bunch of computer-based software synthesizers, and plug-in Effects, EQ, etc. the more tracks they record, the more CPU load, and by the time they have more than 8 tracks the laptop is spitting up blood trying to handle the load.

Enter the MX!!! with a single USB connection... You have taken the burden of generating quality sounds, effect processing, EQ, etc... Off of the poor computer. The MX does the heavy lifting, the laptop can run Cubase, or Logic Pro, or Sonar or Digital Performer and simply record MIDI and/or audio. That is the concept. But the MX cannot record by itself.

If, as you state, you'd like to use a synth to trigger the CP4 Stage's Drums, we'd recommend the MOXF. If you intend to connect more than one device to your system we recommend a proper computer. Please re-read our previous answer about the MOXF with the iPad. The connection with a proper computer is going to be more flexible simply because an iPad is not as flexible as a computer in the connectivity area. We took pains to make that point clear... What a device is able to do is often determined by the "driver". So naturally the MOXF to computer connection will continue to be more flexible.

Hope that helps. If you still are confused, please do not hesitate to ask (before you spend)!

Posted : 07/09/2015 10:57 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you again, Bad Mister for helping me avoid a mistake.

I misinterpreted/misread the Owner's Manual. I did not realize the MX played back MIDI files but did not record MIDI. I do recall our discussion about the capabilities of the MOXF and agree that for me it is the CP4 accessory I would need. However, having spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on synths, rack mounts, digital mixers, speakers, amplifiers, midi controllers, computers, interfaces, microphones, stands, cases, on and on (like most musicians- probably yourself included), I am going to wait for the next generation best keyboard I believe will be around the corner, the next version of the XF itself which I assume will have the single USB cable audio/MIDI iOS interface and hopefully the same high quality piano and other sounds as the CP4. That with the portable CP4 with its acoustic piano feeling keyboard would be the dream combination. Thanks for your offer to ask before I spend. But I bet I know what your answer would be to that combination.

Posted : 07/09/2015 7:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us