Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MX61 foot controller jack

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, i would like to send a programme change message to my DAW from the foot controller jack but it wont work. My DAW is receiving information from the sustain jack using a sustain pedal, keys, knobs etc but not the foot controller!!. Would really like to be able to play with the normal sustain pedal as well as being able to switch between instrument racks on my DAW (not neccesarily at the same time lol). Can anyone help please ?,

Thanks

Posted : 20/09/2015 8:34 am
Topic starter

A weird thing just happened, as i was pulling the jack in and out of the foot controller socket i noticed that my DAW received a control change !!!. If i now plug the jack in about 2/3 the way it works brilliantly, is there a shorter version of the 1/4" jack ? or whats happening?. Could probably use it like this but its not sitting in there very securely !

Posted : 20/09/2015 12:25 pm
Bad Mister

A weird thing just happened, as i was pulling the jack in and out of the foot controller socket i noticed that my DAW received a control change !!!. If i now plug the jack in about 2/3 the way it works brilliantly, is there a shorter version of the 1/4" jack ? or whats happening?. Could probably use it like this but its not sitting in there very securely !

The behavior of the Sustain pedal is dependent on the setting you make in the Utility mode. If you are unaware of this parameter it may, indeed, seem like strange behavior when you plug a sustain pedal.

Here's what is in play... The Yamaha synths can typically use two different types of sustain pedals. Those like the FC4 and FC5 (with just Tip-Sleeve), or those like the FC3 (with Tip-Ring-Sleeve). Yamaha has developed a "half-dampering" control that allows the sustain pedal to read all 128 units of a MIDI controller and apply those to an adjustable AEG parameter within the Voice architecture. What this accomplishes, in a Voice programmed to do this, is a continuous control over the sustain function where the farther the pedal is pressed the more free the 'string' to ring longer. It's a subtle piano technique that really helps you express on the piano sounds, particularly on ballads and solo piano work. This setting would be "FC3 On" and would be selected when you plug in a Yamaha FC3 Sustain pedal (TRS).

If, however, you have a standard (TS) Sustain pedal FC4/FC5 type, then you should set the parameter to properly use this type of pedal. By plugging half-way in (not recommended, by the way) you are simply not making the full connection, and without any security of position (way of insuring it will be staying there) you have connected two of the three connectors.

Yes, Sustain works with either TS or TRS connectors, but whether or not you are getting the full proper response will depend on your type of pedal and your Sustain Pedal setting in Utility mode.

Press [UTILITY]
Navigate to the "Controllers" area
The setting is found as "FS Pedal" Foot Switch Sustain pedal Switch
Select either FC3 On or FC4/5 depending on the type of Yamaha pedal you have...

See page 67 of the MX Reference Manual for more details.

As to the message winding up controlling something in your DAW is a separate issue dealing with MIDI Ports and routing via the USB connection between the MX and the computer. The MX is sending both MIDI and audio, bi-directionally through that cable. A Stereo Audio In and a Stereo Audio Out for the computer, and 5 Ports of MIDI connections. A Midi 'Port' is an In and an Out as a set. Each set has 16 channels. The MX currently only uses four of the five sets of connections.

Port 1 is the port on which you communicate normal music performance: Note-Ons, Controllers, Tempo, etc. 16 Midi channels. The standard MIDI note-ons and controller numbers are used to trigger and control the MX tone generator.

Port 2 is the port on which you can communicate Remote Control messages for DAW control. Here the messages are directed to trigger and control the DAW. A Switch or button requires a momentary event. So Note-Ons of a particular key number and channel might be assigned to open the track window on the DAW Remote layer. Sweepable controllers might be used to turn knobs on the GUI of the DAW. Midi messages are used - not to trigger musical notes but to open screens or close Windows, or set a value within the software's graphic interface. There are 16 channels in this bi-directional set, and this is why it is very important NOT to mix Port 2 information with Port 1 information when setting up your DAW. Keep Port 2 from getting to your Midi Track. Typical control surface setup is done total separately- that's where you want to connect via Port 2 alone.

And is very important that you set your FS Pedal parameter to match the kind of pedal you have, so that you can properly connect the pedal (well seated) in the back panel jack. Sure you could short the connection (pun intended) by plugging it halfway, but don't trust this - it's better to have the right type of pedal setting for your pedal type - that way you can connect the pedal like it should be for a secure connection. In your Midi routing make sure you are NOT sending PORT 1 data to Port 2 or vice versa -

Each port has a role and they need to be kept discreet in order to not have 'strange behavior'. 🙂

Posted : 20/09/2015 1:59 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, thanks for the reply. All i want to do is send a program change signal to assign a change to switch between 2 instrument racks within my DAW. I have an FC5 sustain pedal and a Bespecco foot switch i can use but when i tried the settings you suggest with the plug fully in theres no response 🙁 . Also it seems odd that it works fully plugged in on the sustain port but not the foot control port. There must be a way im sure.
Thanks in advance for any more help

Posted : 20/09/2015 2:52 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for the reply. All i want to do is send a program change signal to assign a change to switch between 2 instrument racks within my DAW. I have an FC5 sustain pedal and a Bespecco foot switch i can use but when i tried the settings you suggest with the plug fully in theres no response 🙁 .

Sorry, but I only gave you instructions for how to use the FC5 type pedal in the FOOT SWITCH jack concerning the Sustain function. I didn't even know what type of pedal you own, (you gave no such details) and I don't know anything about sending Program Change messages with either a Sustain Pedal or the other pedal you mention. So it is not surprising it does not work. But how's the sustain function working? We sort of just jumped in and provided some related bits of information, because we could not be sure exactly what you're attempting to do.

The MX does not normally send a Program Change command via a Foot Switch. It can increment or decrement through a list of external devices.

Even if it did, some VSTi don't accept it. So you're mileage will vary depending on the VSTi. If yours do, what Bank Select and/or Program Change message do you need to send? You gave us no such details.

For example, if you wanted to select the MX61's Concert Grand for Part 12 you would need to send Bank Select 063/000 Program Change 000 on channel 12. What Bank and Program numbers do you need to generate for the device(s) you wish to control? Remember a foot switch only sends a single command, 0 for Off and 127 for On. It does not send Bank Select MSB and LSB, nor can it generate a Program Change message. This message cannot be sent by a FS setup to do Sustain. Besides such a message is not assignable to a simple Foot Switch. It is a simple momentary switch. The other jack supports the Yamaha FC7 sweep pedal and is assignable to things like Expression, Volume, Pan, etc., etc., it cannot send Program Change messages either.

That said, if you decide not to use the Sustain jack for piano-type sustain you can retask it to send other Control Change messages. If set to "PC INC" instead of Sustain, then stepping on the pedal will cause a compatible synth to increment to its next program. There is no Bank Select message just a simple "Program plus one" is sent.

What is a Bespecco pedal? This is not known to us. Does it work to send Program Changes to your computer VSTi?
Sorry, we don't even know what DAW you are talking about. It seems it should be doing the sending of Bank and Program Changes, no?

Again, the DAW Remote Control layer built-in to the MX61 is designed for interacting with computer VSTi. Many soft synths are already addressed by the MX Remote Editor function. For example, if you are working with a supported DAW, you will find functions pre-assigned via selectable Templates. Supported DAWs include Cubase, Sonar, Digtal Performer, and Logic Pro.

I can address every VSTi out there but depending on the one in particular you are attempting to control you may find a prearranged method to recall the Programs within that DAW. We can only be as helpful as the information you provide us about what you're attempting to do. There maybe a different method to accomplish what you want to do.

Posted : 20/09/2015 7:27 pm
Topic starter

Hi, i am only using the MX61 as a controller keyboard for my DAW (i have Cantabile Performer). I am using VSTs within Cantabile and playing thru a sound card to my amp. Indeed the MX61 sustain pedal plugged into the sustain socket is sending a signal to my DAW like a momentary switch and i can use that to toggle between samples perfectly. When i try the same with the Foot Controller jack i am getting nothing. I want to use the sustain socket for sustain as normal and the Foot Controller socket for sending a signal the same as the sustain socket does. I am not using any of the MX61 sounds or settings, just using it as a controller keyboard only. Cantabile Performer can do all that i want with regard to switching etc with the mouse but i will be playing so need a momentary footswitch like a sustain pedal to switch samples.The Bespecco foot switch is just a different make of momentary switch similar to the FC5. By the way it is still working fine with the jack only pushed 2/3rds in

Thanks again for your help

Posted : 20/09/2015 8:37 pm
Bad Mister

The Foot Controller jack is different from the Sustain (Foot Switch) jack. The former takes TRS only, and the latter can take either TS (FC4/5) or TRS (FC3) with a the help of a setting.

You're setup is NOT working. It is only partially working, that is the best you can say, because as you realize plugging it in halfway is questionable as a strategy. Saying it works in this condition is making believe it works, if it worked you would have moved forward already. It is NOT working as you desire, therefore it is not working. When you get the proper type of connection (fully plugged in) and you get what you want - then it can be said to be working.

Start by getting a pedal that is properly TRS, like the recommended Yamaha FC7... and plug it all the way in. 🙂
The Foot Controller jack is looking for a TRS cable (fully connected) to work properly. The Foot Controller jack is designed for the more sophisticated functions and is assignable for parameters that need 0 thru 127 type control.
The Assignable Foot Controller has a range of parameters it can control, again Progran Change is not one of them. So you will not be able to even select the PC INC function for Foot Controller. There is a bias toward the FS doing switch type functions, and the FC doing the sweep type functions. Neither is best suited for Bank and Program Changes.

Remember the Sustain pedal jack principally does just momentary functions, ON or OFF... Basic 'Switch' type stuff. Except in the case of the FC3/ Half-Dampering function described above.

Posted : 20/09/2015 9:01 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister, your right of course and i will not be using the jack this way. Thanks for the clarification and i understand what your saying now, will look at either the FC7 or find another way, maybe getting a jack to midi cable and plugging into the midi in from the momentary switch?, maybe worth a try 🙂

Posted : 20/09/2015 10:04 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us