Notifications
Clear all

Bought used Mx61 with no software or authorization code

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Bill
Topic starter

I was wondering if I could use it with a computer without the software and code. ANY suggestions on what to do, money is a major concern, that is why I bought this at a pawnshop.
Is the mx61 worth anything without the software?
Thanks, I was going to give this to my grand daughter, I am not familiar with these things.

Posted : 01/04/2016 4:11 am
Bad Mister

Bill wrote:

I was wondering if I could use it with a computer without the software and code. ANY suggestions on what to do, money is a major concern, that is why I bought this at a pawnshop.
Is the mx61 worth anything without the software?
Thanks, I was going to give this to my grand daughter, I am not familiar with these things.

Hi Bill, Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

The MX comes with an ACCESS CODE that allows the original purchaser of the instrument to get a licensed version of Steinberg's Cubase AI. The MX61 is a complete standalone synthesizer on its own, however, and does not require a computer or software to be thoroughly enjoyed.

If and when you are interested in expanding your fun capability and enter the world of computer-based recording, the MX features its own built-in MIDI and audio interface. All you need to connect it to a computer is a standard USB cable. All you need to connect it to an iPad or iPhone is an Apple USB Camera Adapter. The MX is capable of working any number of computer applications.

Back in 2004 Yamaha purchased Steinberg, so we provide the opportunity (again to the original purchaser) to discover this world of digital recording with a computer by providing a free entry level version of the Steinberg Music Production software, Cubase. The version is AI, Advanced Integration, called this because it leapfrogs typical entry level softwares and provides some advanced feature, like Remote Control, and VSTi Template building. It allows professional multitrack recording.

The original purchaser is also provided a special discounted upgrade path to the full pro versions of Cubase. (Cubase Pro is software you'd find being used in Hollywood for music and sound production, where hundreds of tracks maybe involved).

But the MX can be used with any number of Digital Audio Workstation software packages. It requires a special Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (ASIO) so any software capable of using ASIO drivers will work. ASIO is an industry standard (Audio Streaming Input/Output) invented by Steinberg that allows for the low latency and bi-directional communication necessary for music recording and playback.

Although the Access Code is only provided to the original purchaser, if you think computer based recording is going to be of interest, you can contact you regional Yamaha distributor and see if they might provide you with an Access Code. They may (or may not) be able to help - there is no harm in asking. Or of course, there are scores of free and commercially available recording options. (Professional recording software might be overkill depending on the age and goals for recording)

Pro software and setting up a home recording situation can be a bit of a challenge to get up and running. There are iPad apps that can easily allow recording and playback and maybe more more than enough and in fact, more appropriate for the situation. You can visit a local music store and ask about options. So you get a feel for the variety of options.

Yamaha makes several different apps that can record and playback and are fun to use.
Often computers come with a basic recording software, it all depends on what your grand daughter wants to accomplish.

Posted : 01/04/2016 2:12 pm
 Bill
Topic starter

Thank you so much for your informative answer, I was getting so frustrated I was about to chuck the thing in the trash.
Yamaha Canada sent me the following:
"I got also your vocal message. Sorry, there is no replacement of Steinberg Cubase AI Activation Code when sold from end user to end user. The original owner can delete their soft elicenser in their Steinberg’s account and allow the new user to register the same elicenser number in his newly created Steinberg’s account. The second buyer can then download Cubase AI from the ‘’Downloads’’ tab of his Steinberg’s account.

If you cannot contact the original buyer, you can buy a complete version of Cubase.  You can check the " Concise comparison’’ " of Cubase sequencers series at the bottom of following web page.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/line_up.html

André Chouinard"

The cheapest software there was $99.00 US and unfortunately that is not doable at the moment, but I will download the USB drivers and see what works. It would have been nice if Yamaha had linked the software to the serial number of the device.
I wanted to link to my computer for some interactive keyboard lessons and it looks as if this is possible as long as USB drivers are available.

Once again thanks for your time and help, hopefully I can get this machine kind of kid friendly.

Posted : 01/04/2016 8:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us