Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Different sound/bite/grit for the same voice as Part 1 versus Part 7(e.g.) with all the same knob settings

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

All - I'm getting familiar with my MX-61 synth and love it :). When I select a part (e.g. LotsOfBrass) as part 7, it has a different sound than when I select it as part 1. I've confirmed all the knob settings are exactly the same in each case, but that voice has a different volume/ bite to it as Part 1 compared to the same sound selected as part 7 (with all the same knob settings). Does anyone know why this is the case?

Related to the above, do we need to update the software on the synths after purchase? I haven't done this since I purchased it years ago. Perhaps this is why I'm having the part voice differences? Thanks for your input! 🙂

Posted : 17/03/2020 3:48 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe effects. Check the system and insertion effects are the same. That means effect types, effect settings, and the send/return for system effects (Chorus/Reverb).

Posted : 17/03/2020 5:59 pm
Bad Mister

You must set the Insertion Effect Switch to On for the “LotsOBrass“ Part

System Effects and Insertion Effects
The MX has a “System Effect” Block, that includes a Reverb and Chorus (time delay) processor. Each of the 16 Parts of an MX Performance has a Send amount control that feed each of these processors. This arrangement is very much like a Mixer with 16 channels and each channel has two Auxiliary Sends (one to the Reverb, the other to the Chorus).

The MX has the ability to additionally recall Insertion Effects on any four Parts, simultaneously. You choose. An Insertion Effect, as the name implies is “inserted” on a particular Part (instrument sound). The reason a Voice can sound one way in one Part and sound very different in another is due to the Insertion Effect Switch. By default Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 have the InsSw (Insertion Switch) set to On.

Typically, if you play the Brass sound as Part 1 of a Performance the Insertion Switch is guaranteed to be On. While it is nice to have Insertion Effects for each of the 16 Parts (like the MONTAGE does) the MX has the ability to have 4 Parts simultaneously use Insertion Effects.

You can turn the “InsSw” Off and activate it on a different Part — the rule is: Only 4 Insertion Switches can be On at any one time.

Extra Credit
The System Effects are shared by all instruments and recreate the room environment in which the band is situated.
The Insertion Effect is like a musician’s own personal effect... like a guitar player might have a Distortion, or the organist might have a Leslie simulator, etc. it is an effect inserted on just that one channel.

Press [EDIT] > move to “02:Part” > use a numbered button to select a Part 1-16 > use the down cursor to move through the Part Edit parameters... scroll down to “InsSw”

Turn it Off for on one of the active Parts and turn it On for Part 7

See page 47 of the Reference Manual for details on the Part Edit parameter list: Vol, Pan, Note Shift, Detune, Chorus Send, Reverb Send, Dry Level, Insertion Switch

InsSw
Determines the Parts available for the Insertion Effect. When this switch is set to on, the Insertion Effect of the Voice assigned to the Part is enabled. The Insertion Effect can be applied to a maximum of four Parts of the Performance.
Settings: off, on

Posted : 17/03/2020 11:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us