Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MX-61 USB to PC Synth coming out Asio back thru MX to PA. Can you easily mute/toggle MX?(local sound)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Eric
Topic starter

Hello,
I really apologize if this has been covered, I did a 10 minute dig and could not find anything.

My workflow for this client is to use software synths, (standalone VSTI) to create final CD track. Then live when covering the song, I planned to have the keyboardist use a laptop with the him use a laptop with the USB port on MX-61. It works great, the software synth sounds amazing coming back thru the MX-61.

However currently he uses a mouse and turn the volume all the way down on the synth. play the MX-49 for part of the song when its a normal patch like piano, then turn the volume back up on the synth, which is OK..the rub is the MX-61 piano sound is now layered with the software synth.

Is there a way to WHILE PLAYING LIVE play only the soft synth? I know I could probably dig deep and turn off local midi or something to disable local sounds or something. But he would like to go ahead and use the MX for patches that are not so specialized.

Anyone find a solution for that by chance???

Posted : 09/11/2015 3:24 am
Bad Mister

As you state, LOCAL CONTROL is the method designed by the designers of MIDI. Without knowing what standalone Soft Synth you are referring to we can't even venture a guess. Other solutions (if you can get no support from the maker of the soft synth) would be to use an application like a DAW Cubase, for example, setup a couple of MIDI Tracks : one set to play the soft synth, the other set to echo back to the MX61. Set LOCAL CONTROL to OFF (as per MIDI spec)... Now you can use the DAW REMOTE feature of the MX (which turns the MX into a control surface) to toggle between Tracks - only the currently active (selected) Track will be routed to the destination tone engine.

Posted : 09/11/2015 2:06 pm
 Eric
Topic starter

hmmmm. I really like where that last sentence is heading. I didn't know the MX could be setup as a control surface. If done correctly he would not have to touch the laptop Per Se, not that an up or down arrow would be any more laborious then a button or knob on the MX, it still could open up the possibility of having the computer somewhere other then within arms reach but still viewable if that was deemed useful.

Also, the synths so far are Dimension and Rapture by cakewalk and could easily be nested inside the Cakewalk Sonar DAW.

So if I am thinking about this correctly ...there is no work around to turning local control off. In other words there is no way to mute or lesser the local engine in the final output "mix" in relation to the signal coming from the USB ASIO host and even the Aux in for that matter.

This seems workable, as long as the local audio coming from the DAW is not degraded somehow. Which it shouldn't be, it should simply be playing the midi notes from the DAW and producing them locally, it just so happens that the midi notes are being supplied by the midi controller portion of the MX.

I can understand this. Sweet. I really appreciate your help Bad Mister.

Posted : 09/11/2015 4:15 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us