Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MX49 and Linux KXStudio

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi. I'm new to Yamaha and picked up the MX49 to realize a dream of owning a fully functioning midi controller/synth/keyboard and I'm stoked. Well, almost...

While hooking up to my Linux computer my DAW (Ardor) sees the MX49 but the Yamaha doesn't see my DAW. I seriously need this to happen as I am not buying in to Cubase when I have full functionality in open source community. Drivers? Is that my problem-drivers??

Does anyone have experience with an MX series or other Yamaha product that grooves with Linux operating systems?

Posted : 21/07/2015 10:53 pm
Bad Mister

While hooking up to my Linux computer my DAW (Ardor) sees the MX49 but the Yamaha doesn't see my DAW. I seriously need this to happen as I am not buying in to Cubase when I have full functionality in open source community. Drivers? Is that my problem-drivers??

Not sure how you are determining that the MX49 "doesn't see" your DAW.

Yamaha has developed drivers for Windows and Macintosh operating systems. It is the driver's responsibility to translate the multiple ports of MIDI data, and 2-in/2-out Audio (ASIO) via the USB connection. Those who live in the full functionality of the open source community are probably used to being the third party on the date. 🙂 Sorry, I've seen posts on the internet where Linux folks have coded their way around the lack of Linux specific drivers.

The driver that Yamaha recommends for Windows and Macintosh is called the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" it includes both a MIDI and an Audio component for communication via USB.

You may have to search online for others in your situation... There are several who have found a way around this... Try Steinberg.net, or wherever Linux users tend to meet.

Hopefully, other users of Linux will see your post and come to the rescue.

Posted : 24/07/2015 4:13 pm

Bad Mister wrote:

Yamaha has developed drivers for Windows and Macintosh operating systems. It is the driver's responsibility to translate the multiple ports of MIDI data, and 2-in/2-out Audio (ASIO) via the USB connection. Those who live in the full functionality of the open source community are probably used to being the third party on the date. 🙂 Sorry, I've seen posts on the internet where Linux folks have coded their way around the lack of Linux specific drivers.

You may have to search online for others in your situation... There are several who have found a way around this... Try Steinberg.net, or wherever Linux users tend to meet.

Hopefully, other users of Linux will see your post and come to the rescue.

You think this is funny? I have been using electronic Yamaha Instruments since my childhood, and I found this condescending answer while researching for my next buy. I would very much like to buy a pro workstation which delivers its individual outputs via USB directly into the DAW. And I would like it to be one from Yamaha (from the motif or montage series).

But I use Linux and Linux only. We have Bitwig, we have Ardour, we have Renoise. Audio production on Linux is gaining attention. There is no good reason anymore to not support Linux (ALSA framework in the case of USB audio). And it's a huge irony that Yamaha uses Linux as operating system on its devices, but does not offer Linux drivers to its users. It would be the easiest thing for Yamaha/Steinberg to release drivers. In contrast reengineering a proprietary protocol is a daunting and very difficult task. For a couple thou dollars per unit this company "philosophy" is not at all acceptible. Shame on Yamaha!

I am very well living by the rule: No Linux driver? No deal! Simple as that. -- So, no deal!

Posted : 24/01/2016 4:45 pm
Bad Mister

Wolfram wrote:You think this is funny? I have been using electronic Yamaha Instruments since my childhood, and I found this condescending answer while researching for my next buy. I would very much like to buy a pro workstation which delivers its individual outputs via USB directly into the DAW. And I would like it to be one from Yamaha (from the motif or montage series).

But I use Linux and Linux only. We have Bitwig, we have Ardour, we have Renoise. Audio production on Linux is gaining attention. There is no good reason anymore to not support Linux (ALSA framework in the case of USB audio). And it's a huge irony that Yamaha uses Linux as operating system on its devices, but does not offer Linux drivers to its users.

No, I was not being funny! To the contrary... I, too, find it ironic that we are using Linux as the operating system on many of our devices and yet we do not offer a Linux driver. But that is the reality. Please do not be offended, rather see me as an ally. But obviously, it is not as "easy" as you think. No doubt you are aware that the majority of synth users are either using Macintosh OS X or the most recent Windows OS, and music companies like Yamaha have to constantly stay updated with these two OS's. So apparently it is not as easy as you think. I'm a product guy, not a computer programmer guy...

I am very well living by the rule: No Linux driver? No deal! Simple as that. -- So, no deal!

Well hopefully, you check back in from time to time to see if something has changed. Yamaha works with many third party programmers to develop useful tools -if there is an interest. So, and I'm not being funny at all, please check back every now and then... Because nothing remains the same, and if it is as easy as you seem to think, perhaps some one is working on a solution even as we have this conversation.

Posted : 25/01/2016 7:54 pm

Meanwhile I found out, that the Montage series just last week presented at NAMM'16 allegedly will be having USB Audio 2.0 class compliance. That means that multiple audio channels over USB could actually be working with Linux out of the box with no vendor-specific driver being needed. That is very good news! Will keep an eye on that.

However, is there any chance for previous synthesizer models to be also made USB Audio 2.0 class compliant by firmware update, or are any of them already?

Posted : 28/01/2016 11:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us