Notifications
Clear all

Vycro MX Edit: GET but no PUT

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ol
Topic starter

I'm just starting to work with Vycro MX (free ver 1.00) on Win XP PC. I can make changes through the MX61 interface and see the changes in Vycro when I click GET. Although the manual says PUT is automatic, any change I make in the Vycro editor has no apparent effect on the MX61. Guess I'm not holding my mouth right... or something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted : 07/08/2015 9:35 pm
 Ol
Topic starter

Got this one resolved, I think,.. I MIDI in a Roland PK5A to my MX61, so I have UTILITY | MIDI = MIDI IN/OUT. However, the USB cable connects the MX to the PC with Vycro MX. Whereas Vycro will apparently GET the MX61 settings that way, in order to PUT Vycro MX changes, the MX61 must be set as UTILITY | MIDI = USB. If you have similar issues (and have determined that you have the software and current drivers installed), try these Utility settings on the MX, as well as the MIDI OUT selections available in Vycro MX, -Ol' Will

Posted : 20/08/2015 11:04 am
Bad Mister

In order to communicate via MIDI with the computer software you must select MIDI IN/OUT = USB.

In this state the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel no longer address the internal MX engine, but rather since they are not being used are available to connect an external MIDI device. Data from this connected device will travel THRU the MX and arrive at the computer as "Yamaha MOXF-3 (port 3)". Data routed from the computer on Port 3 will travel THRU the MX and arrive at the MIDI IN of the external device.

So yes communication between the MX and the computer takes place on USB port 1. The MX will no longer see messages coming in the 5-pin MIDI jack... They simply travel through the MX on their way to the computer.

If you wish to send MIDI Messages to the MX from an external device (simultaneously) while connected via USB, you must use your computer to "echo back" messages coming in via "Yamaha MOXF-3 (port3)" to "Yamaha MOXF-1 (port1).

The MX when MIDI IN/OUT = USB receives MIDI commands via Port 1 of the YSUSB driver.

Posted : 20/08/2015 3:19 pm
 Ol
Topic starter

Thanks, Phil, hopefully someday I'll be able to digest all that... 🙂

As it is, I seem to be getting along with Vycro MX okay by switching back and forth (MIDI to USB). Not going to need to do it a lot anyway, once I get my base performances set up. Even got the channel-stacking/note-range thing figured out, so pretty much good to go and happy with with Vycro MX.

One question: Should I be able to rename the performance name in the Vycro (free ver) and have it transfer to the MX? Seems I can replace the standard "MXCategory" name with (e.g.) "Piano_Org" but I don't see the new name show up on the MX panel with the new performance name (?)

Thanks again,
Ol' Will

PS: It's Jon, actually -- I was dubbed "Ol' Will" by a college roommate/band mate with reference to Willie Mitchell's '64 hit "20-75" that we played, along with a lot of soul stuff. It's the handle that stuck all through college -- and a name I've now grown into... literally 😉

Posted : 28/08/2015 1:43 pm
Bad Mister

Should I be able to rename the performance name in the Vycro (free ver) and have it transfer to the MX? Seems I can replace the standard "MXCategory" name with (e.g.) "Piano_Org" but I don't see the new name show up on the MX panel with the new performance name (?)

Yes, when you name a PERFORMANCE in the VycroMX PERFORMANCE Editor that name will transfer to the MX - Here's how that works...

When you name something in the Editor - you are naming it for the Editor - you can then use the COLLECT feature to keep it handy anytime you open your Editor. You also have an option to SAVE - this will create a file with the Performance name and the extension (.prm)
Both of these are computer-based storage and retrieval

If you wish to take this Performance along with you (for when you will not be near a computer) you can STORE the PERFORMANCE to any of the 128 Internal Locations on the hardware MX. The Editor works in the EDIT BUFFER of the MX. A temporary work area that holds all the parameters, allows you to play, edit, and otherwise mangle the data.

If you wish to keep it in the MX:
Press [STORE] on the physical MX - just to the left of the SELECT button.
Use the Data Dial to select a Performance location 001-128
Press [ENTER]
Press [INC/YES]

The name you named it in the Editor will now appear in the hardware MX as the PERFORMANCE name.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 28/08/2015 2:10 pm
 Ol
Topic starter

Does indeed help, and works like a charm -- thanks!

Posted : 29/08/2015 3:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us