Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MX88 Backordered?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have an MX88 on order via a well-known music retailer, they just told me the order is now scheduled for early November. Is anyone else having problems with getting Yamaha sync/keyboard equipment? Is this just a case of Covid 19 hitting the supply chain or is there a chance Yamaha is discontinuing the MX88 for a refresh? MX88 was introduced in 2017 so I begin to wonder about the real reasons for the delay.

Posted : 03/09/2020 5:27 pm
Bad Mister

The MX88 is one of the best selling Synthesizers on the planet! Based on the current rate of sell-through and orders already in, when you hear an estimate of November (a couple of months away) that means, if a retailer just got hip to how fast the MX88 sells, and they were to order one right now — that is an estimate about when that order would be fulfilled based on the number of orders already in the system. If “well-known” means the retailer is also “on the ball“, they probably have orders already in the system that will likely arrive before the estimated time.

Assuming those on order are NOT all “pre-sold”, they may have units available to sell long before that. Retailers work on a UPOD system (‘under promise over deliver’ strategy) so that November estimate is based on the worst case scenario.

Querying just one dealer can give results where that dealer may have sold through their units (particular the “well-known” dealers), shop around, you may find another dealer has some sitting in their inventory! (Although most know how hot the MX88 is...)

Just FYI... at Yamaha, we are well aware of the great popularity of the MX88... They sell like popcorn at the movies (remember going to the movies?) Thanks for your interest!

Posted : 12/09/2020 12:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us