Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using FM Essentials with MX (version 1)

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I've had FM Essentials on my iPhone for a while but haven't had much time to play with it. I hooked the iPhone up to a Korg Kross 2 last night and tried FM Essentials (the MX was in a travel case for a gig tonight). It sounded great and I was suprised to find the FM sounds played through USB and out the Korg outputs. I tried it today with the MX and it seems the sounds only come from the iPhone without any output from the MX outs. Is this because the original MX was not fully USB class compliant or do I have something set up wrong on the MX (version 1)? I really appreciate the FM app but I suspect using it with a Korg product isn't what Yamaha had in mind. Thanks.

Posted : 11/04/2018 10:41 pm
Bad Mister

The original MX was not fully class compliant for audio. The app FM ESSENTIAL will work with any fully iOS compatible synthesizer.

Posted : 11/04/2018 11:00 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply Bad Mister. I thought the lack of full class compliance was the problem. Just curious: is that a hardware issue in the original MX circuit design?

thanks,

Kevin

Posted : 12/04/2018 8:28 pm
Topic starter

Sorry, hit post before I was finished with the question: I'm guessing that the lack of compliance was just the "state of USB audio" at the time the original MX was designed since my old MO6 will also trigger FM Essentials but the audio comes from the iPhone only.

Posted : 12/04/2018 8:33 pm
Bad Mister

You surmise correctly. Time may be an illusion but it does have an effect on things like included features.

Posted : 13/04/2018 12:33 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister. In spite of the "illusion of time" the original MX has enough included features to keep me busy and it's still the one I use for most jobs (heck, I'm still learning things about my "classic" Motif 8, but it's so darn heavy as compared with the MX!).

Kevin

Posted : 14/04/2018 11:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us