Clear all

Volume Controls Rhythm and Single Audio

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Anthony
Topic starter

Good Evening,
Made the jump from a simple single sound beginner piano to the MX88 and I've got a problem with the volume levels.

Here's my setup:
1. MX88 L/R - 1/4" out to a Roland Octa-capture Mixer/Capture -
2. Octa-Capture L/R - 1/4" out to 2 PreSonus Eris 8 Monitors

The first issue is the volume of the built in rhythm tracks are extremely loud and I have yet to find a way to control their volume. I have the keyboard volume set at about half (12oclock position). The Roland mixer pre-amp input fader is @ 22 for left and right. Just enough to keep from clipping when the rhythm tracks are used.
The problem is, the volume of any of the keyboard tones are very low and almost inaudible when played with a rhythm track. The rhythm track drowns out the any keyboard tones I try. I can play the keyboard really hard and I can hear a little more, but that defeats the purpose of having the MX88 Graded Weighted Keys they are meant to be played as a natural keyboard with similar dynamics. I can turn up the "main" volume, but that clips the mixer pre-amp and I have to lower it down to compensate for the loud rhythm tracks. The keyboard tones continue to get lost. Especially if I turn off the rhythm tones, then I have to turn up the mixer to hear them. I have also played with the "volume" knob but it doesn't seem to be much of a gain stage for the keyboard tones and each tone is effected differently by that gain stage.

So the questions are:
1. Can the volume of the rhythm tracks be controlled other then the master volume?
2. Can the volume of the other tones be controlled other then by the master volume and the volume knob function?

Thanks,
New MX88 Owner...

Posted : 10/07/2017 4:48 am
Bad Mister

1. Can the volume of the rhythm tracks be controlled other then the master volume?
2. Can the volume of the other tones be controlled other then by the master volume and the volume knob function?

Yes. And, yes.

From your PERFORMANCE
Press [EDIT]
Select 02: Part
[ENTER]
Select a Part 1-16 using the numbered buttons... top line will indicated selected Part
Use the UP/DOWN CURSOR to select "01: Play Mode"
[ENTER]
Use UP/DOWN to view parameters for the selected Part
"Volume" is adjustable for each Part 1-127
Rhythm Part is Part 10

Each of the 16 Parts has a Volume setting which can be stored in this Performance.

Posted : 10/07/2017 6:36 pm
Anthony
Topic starter

Hey BM -
Thanks so very much for the reply -
I will take a look at those settings and start making adjustments. Might as well start learning about the internal working of my MX88, no better time than the present...

Thanks Again,
Ant...

Posted : 12/07/2017 8:45 pm
Anthony
Topic starter

Good Evening BM -

It took some trial an error, reading, rereading, and rereading again your instructions and then I finally figured out what you meant by "Numbered Buttons" - The tone category buttons.

Is there documentation on what each "Part" these buttons are? I now know that button "10" is rhythm. Not that I am opposed to experimentation and finding out for myself what they are, it would be nice to have a visual queue to help when I need to make real time performance changes.

Thanks again for your help!!!
Anthony...

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:25 am
Bad Mister

It took some trial an error, reading, rereading, and rereading again your instructions and then I finally figured out what you meant by "Numbered Buttons" - The tone category buttons.

Sorry for being so precise. I refer to them as "numbered buttons" when you are using them to select Parts 1 through 16.

I would refer to them as [CATEGORY] buttons when you are in situation where pressing them would let you select the category. The buttons are context sensitive. A close inspection of the front panel you'll see functions written above and below the buttons. You also see that the [PART SELECT] button has a silk-screened line connecting it with the Part numbers 1-16 (below the buttons)

So in the context of selecting a Part those buttons are referred to by their numbers (not at all by the category - the category function is not used in this particular context).

For example, when you are viewing the Performance screen that shows nyhe names of Part 1 on top, and Part 2 on the bottom... the 16 right front panel buttons are CATEGORY SEARCH buttons. Try it.

Hit [SHIFT] + [SELECT] together to do a Quick Reset

AP:001:CncrtGrand
STR:081:AmbPizza

The cursor will be flashing next to AP "Acoustic Piano", indicating you can now select a new sound for Part 1; the sixteen front panel buttons are now Category Search buttons, reading what is written above the button. The name listed is at the top of that category - repeated hitting of the button will increment through the category.

It's just too imprecise and confusing to say the Category name when you are using the button to select a Part number, and vice versa. Because they do not always line up. When you know that the buttons have two distinctly different functions, you simply need to know what it is you are doing at the time.

Spend some time with this aspect of the architecture, it is a fundamental you will need to master to move forward.

Posted : 17/07/2017 12:36 pm
Anthony
Topic starter

BM - I definitely understand what you're saying and now that I know that the "Category" Buttons "MUCH" more when not in "Category" mode - So to speak - I will remember them as Numbered Buttons when doing Edits and the like -

When I get back to my keyboard this evening I will definitely look deeper into your instructions.

Thanks for your precision - It is highly appreciated to get such detailed and step by step instructions!!

Anthony...

Posted : 17/07/2017 5:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us