Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha MX88 through PA

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
Topic starter

In my little home studio, the MX88 is sent to headphones via a Yamaha StagePas 500 console and to get decent volume to the headphones, I need to set the console's output on MIC level instead of LINE. I sometimes send the MX88 through an ART Studio V3 valve preamp to boost the signal before the console instead, but I prefer the MX88 sound uncolored. So for home, not having much of an issue 'cause I have options.

I intend to use the MX88 in a gig for the 1st time in early April (1st time ever onstage with a KB) and will be sending the MX88 through the house PA. I'll bring a preamp just in case I need a stronger signal before getting to the house console.

Is there a better alternative than a preamp ? Or should I start looking for either a volume pedal or an EQ device ? Not looking to get a lot of stuff to add, I already went down the gear rabbit-hole as a bassist and I don't intend to go through that hell again (Martin Brody, Jaws II)

Not sure how to adress this.

Thx πŸ™‚

Posted : 16/01/2019 12:47 am
Bad Mister

In my little home studio, the MX88 is sent to headphones via a Yamaha StagePas 500 console and to get decent volume to the headphones, I need to set the console's output on MIC level instead of LINE.

The MIC setting is a channel INPUT setting, not a console Output setting. Setting the mixer channel for the MX88 to MIC is incorrect, you should set the input for the MX to LINE level. You are (or should be) severely overloading the Input stage of that channel by a significant amount.
MIC is looking for a weak signal like from a microphone typically -50dB
LINE is looking for a strong signal like from a synth like an MX88 typically +0 ~ +6dB

You should look into a basic course in doing sound reinforcement. Check with your local music store; often product representatives visit music stores... you can learn a lot about the gear you already own. You don’t need additional preamps, you need to learn to work what you already own. If you are not getting enough level to run your headphones somethings wrong...

β€œThat’s some bad hat there, Harry!” β€” Martin Brody, (Jaws)

Posted : 18/01/2019 4:13 pm
 Mike
Topic starter

lollll
Gotcha πŸ™‚

Posted : 20/01/2019 1:56 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us