Clear all

Bad Sound Quality on reface CP

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a reface cp and noticed that both of it´s internal speakers do a very loud and disturbing distortion sound when raising the volume to the max.
I´ve read in another thread here that my reface CP is not the only one who does this. After returning it two times the problem occured on every new instrument again.
I´m aware that the refaces are more thought to be used as a professionel instrument and are seriously played over good external speakers.

To YAMAHA:
Why do you put low budget speakers into a product which is intented to work professionally.
The sound quality through external speakers is by the way amazing!
But every IPhone has a better sound quality than the internal speakers in my reface cp!
It´s really dissapointing that this thing is not built as well as all your other products are!
In my opinion there is no excuse for it!
This product isn´t thought till the end...

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:06 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, you are having issues with your reface CP. Please make sure you get one you are happy with, and I'm sure your unit will be looked at for whether or not it is actually an issue or not (then it can be addressed within the model). I'll just offer the following comments in the meantime. Take them for what they are worth. We want you to be happy with the purchase and with the product - so by all means if you think you got one that is faulty, please take measures.

...But since "every instrument" does it, maybe it's a feature and not a problem... Just a thought! At least there is something to consider.

I recently bought a reface cp and noticed that both of it´s internal speakers do a very loud and disturbing distortion sound when raising the volume to the max.

This can be true, there is a *DRIVE* control; whether or not you overdrive the system is really a choice and is built-into the model. You are talking specifically about the reface speakers - we need to establish that some distortion is INTENTIONAL (as I'm sure you know) or perhaps you don't know. But let's establish that some of the distortion is indeed intentional and a integral part of the sound of these instruments (Rhodes, Wurli, Clav, etc) in actual use.

I used to own a FenderRhodes Suitcase73 (circa 1970) and it was also very capable of "very loud and disturbing distortion" when raising the volume to the max through its own sound system. Particularly when you connected...Wah-wah, a Chorus, a Tape Delay and a Reverb... you had to gain stage your signal flow or you got what you deserved back-in-the-day!

Whether or not the speakers in the reface CP are capable of reproducing this acoustically is moot, the four 12" speakers in the Rhodes simply had more muscle. Differentiating between the "loud and disturbing sound" you are describing and one that is intentionally "modeled" by the gain staging within the reface, is for the Service department to determine, but since you say the following:

The sound quality through external speakers is by the way amazing!

We agree. It is the speakers built-into the reface that are now the question. They are designed for personal use. (I feel silly saying this, it is so obvious) Not to be used on the professional stage where you have scores of people huddled around to listen. They are for you personally.

But every IPhone has a better sound quality than the internal speakers in my reface cp!

Forgive me, but I have to call you on this one. If that is the case then you definitely had a faulty run of units. Please take your iPhone and play some music through it... I assume you have iTunes or some such app to play music.

Now take an 1/8" mini stereo cable and connect it to the reface CP's AUX IN... if it does not sound better quality than your phone, Oliver, I will eat YOUR hat, and MY hat!!! 🙂

But seriously, since I have to pass your comments on (and I will) I just want to make sure it gets translated properly and is representative of what YOU want to say. Because you are either greatly exaggerating here (to make a point, common on the Internet) or you have some kind of iPhone the rest of don't have. I don't want your comment discounted because anyone that concludes that a phone sounds better than the speakers currently in reface, will fall into that fringe area; where comments that are too positive or too negative get tossed out.

Please play some tracks through the sound system of the reface CP and please play them "up to the max". Let us know. If it does not sound better than the speaker system in your iPhone - get back to us. Is it possible that your description of the distortion you were getting is a bit exaggerated, too.

Final Thought: How do you intend to use the speakers? I only use the internal speakers when I need to play a line for my guitar player... mostly I'm in headphones or through a sound system. Headphones when I'm alone messing around, and the sound system when I'm out sharing music with an audience. The Speakers can be turned off as a preference. The speakers have their use, they may not fill a large or even a small hall, But they are way better than a phone...

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:25 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister,

I admit I was a little unobjective with my comparism of the phone and the reface. Really sorry for that! Attribute it to my disappointment of it...
I will try to describe the sound my reface is producing: It´s like a loud fluttering somewhere in between the housing of the speaker and the speaker itself.
It´s hard to locate but it is there especially when raising the volume up and it superimposes the choosen sound.
I really don´t think that it has something to do with the recreation of vintage keyboard sounds with their peculiarities that couldn´t be handled better way back in the 70s.
The *Drive* knob was set to zero of course;)
I know that these tiny speakers are made for home use!
My final conclusion of this:
When this distortion is intented by the YAMAHA engineers then I must say that I simply don´t like it!
But I think that there must be something wrong with it even when this reface cp now is my third trial.
By the way: The other two I got before had not exactly the same kind of distortion.
The first I got showed very loud distortion on both sides.
The second of them had it just on the left speaker. The right one was working fine.
This was the reason why I went for third one!
Anyway I will try to find a solution for it.

Bad Mister...Thank you for your patience even with a challenging customer like I am 🙂

Posted : 02/12/2015 8:14 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I´ve recorded a little demo with my phone lying next to the reface while playing! (Sorry for this unprofessional way of doing it!)
It´s not so clearly to hear on the record but I think it´s good enough to give you an idea what I am talking about...
Can you hear this constant fluttering and vibrating on the right side?
This is what I mean!
I have used the RdII with Tremolo and Chorus...Here is a little christmas song for you. (I hope you like christmas songs 😉 )

Please let me know wheter it´s intented by YAMAHA or not!

Thanks

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:11 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I´ve recorded a little demo with my phone lying next to the reface while playing! (Sorry for this unprofessional way of doing it!)
It´s not so clearly to hear on the record but I think it´s good enough to give you an idea what I am talking about...
This is what I mean!
I have used the RdII with Tremolo and Chorus...Here is a little christmas song for you. (I hope you like christmas songs 😉 )

Thanks

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:12 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

This is what I mean!

Thanks

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:18 pm

i see no link to your demo ?
btw. i guess it is the same kind of speaker distortion that my reface-dx has at louder levels - i had three devices, it was the same on all of them.
in the meantime i can live with it.

Posted : 03/12/2015 2:00 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I´m sorry! There went something wrong with the upload of the file.
I got thrown out of three times of the reply field yesterday...
I tried to upload an mp3 file, which obvoisly is not allowed to be uploaded.
Is there anyway to share audio files on this forum?

Posted : 03/12/2015 9:33 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

I don´t know if this is possible or within the rules here, but could you please erase this thread?
I have made my peace with the reface and the distortion on it and I´m sorry for some of my comments above!

Thank you!

Posted : 16/12/2015 9:29 am
 al

lot of ignorance and confusion going on here. the problem its not about the power/size of internal speakers, and neither about the internal amplifier. try to put some music by the aux port (by an iPod or a mp3 player) and it will play perfectly (according to the obvious power/size of the speakers, obviously)... so ITS NOT normal that shaky vibrating sound when you play the keyboard... and ITS NOT about the size-power of the internal speakers. its surely an internal error (probably drive calibration i guess) but WE NEED tho get this fixed because the hardware should be sounding fine. YAMAHA, please do the right thing and provide us a firmware update or something.

Posted : 06/04/2018 1:48 am
Bad Mister

Not sure who you are calling ignorant but if you are having issues with your refaceCP please bring it to an authorized service center and have it looked at (or something). Let us know.

Posted : 06/04/2018 10:23 am

The distortion you described sounds very much like what I posted about on my YC. It sounds fine through headphones or external equipment, but sounds over-driven through the internal speakers. I described it to Yamaha customer service and to Sweetwater, and both say they don’t hear it, but a friend with a YC has the same problem. None of the local Yamaha dealers carry the Reface series, so I have no way of comparing. Since I bought this for stand-alone use - preferably without headphones, I’m real close to returning it for a refund. It’s a shame, because, except for this flaw, I really like the unit.

Posted : 11/04/2018 2:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us