Distortion by speaker/housing resonance in the Reface CP (and DX) 🙁

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
Maarten
Topic starter

Dear Yamaha,

I notice an unpleasant resonance of the housing/speakers of my Reface CP. This starts at a volume of about 60% up to 100%.

This is most noticeable with the Wr, then RdI, then CP. I can still hear it with RdII, but the higher harmonics of the RdII sound mask the resonance a bit. I don't hear it with Clv or Toy.

All effects are off. Drive is set to 0.

I use rechargeable Eneloop batteries. However, I also hear it when using the adapter.
When I use a headphone, the sound is without distortion (even at volume of 100%).

How to reproduce:

• Place the Octave slider in the middle
  • Choose Wr voice (or RdI, CP or RdII)
  • Set Drive to 0 and turn off all effects, including Reverb
  • Set the volume slider to 100% (at least above 60%)
  • Play in the middle of the keyboard the chords C (c-e-g), Dm (d-f-a), Em (e-g-b) after each other
  • You hear the distorting resonance. You can also feel it by touch by laying one hand flat on the flat surface beneath a speaker (at the left or right side of the keys).
  • Slide down the volume to below 60% and the distortion disappears.

At 50% volume the Reface CP has a too low volume, even in a completely silent room.

My serial number is EEVK01xxx (where xxx means three digits).

Looking forward to your response,

Maarten

Posted : 24/09/2015 9:34 am
Craig

I can confirm this on my CP as well. it is definitely a resonance in the speaker and/or case. UEVM01253

Craig

Posted : 24/09/2015 2:13 pm

Hi, I have the same problem with my DX. Resonance at certain frequency from left hand speaker. Headphone and line perfect - love its sound but speaker does resonate. I would take it apart but i don't want to invalidate the warranty.

Posted : 24/09/2015 7:22 pm

same here.
i returned 2 reface dx because of that distortion, the third isn't better.
To me it sounds like speaker distortion.
All three sounded the same.
it's terrible on soft sounds with less overtones. (init voice - play a chord in a lower octave 🙁 )

Posted : 25/09/2015 2:05 am

Guys, I don't think it's manufacturing failure. You cannot be serious to expect these tiny speakers to reproduce the depth of voice (especially the lower registers) this instrument produces. Think of these speakers as similar to the one on your digital sound recorder - it is only suitable to "monitor" the sound but not for enjoyable listening. I use a Bose Sounlink Mini bluetooth speaker to amplify the sound when travelling (wired, of course), and that makes the experience very enjoyable.

Posted : 01/10/2015 8:20 pm

i agree - and i can live with it.
but: it is possible to make small speakers sound big - the speakers inside a soundlink mini are not much bigger than those in the reface (1.5 inch vs. 30mm AFAIK) 😉

Posted : 01/10/2015 9:10 pm
Maarten
Topic starter

@Gusztav, I am *not* expecting the tiny speakers to reproduce low frequencies. Tiny speakers cannot do that.

I am talking about a *distortion* of the sound, even at low volume. It's in the mid frequencies.

Maybe I should make a YouTube video about this. Use a mic to record the sound from the speakers, and then use the same mic to record from HS-7 monitors, where I cut off the low frequencies so they both have about the same frequency range. If you listen to that, you'll immediately know what I am talking about.

Maarten

Posted : 02/10/2015 4:27 pm

i heard as well but i finish not to take care

Posted : 05/10/2015 5:55 am
 John

Same issue here with distorted sound from the internal speaker. I believed Yamaha's marketing when they told me "Specially designed bass reflex port technology enhances bass response for full, rich sound". I take it that's just marketing speak for don't expect the speaker to work well? Mine's going back to Sweetwater for a full return. 🙁

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/reface/reface_cp/

Posted : 03/08/2016 1:55 am

Hi, My Cp arrived today. The diatortion you hear is (in my opinion) the result of a cheap PWM poweramp class D inside the reface. I have a Evoice ZLP12 active speaker which has the same problem to reproduce wurlizer and similar sounds. I think it is a design problem. At low volume you hear the PWM pulses and at high volume the small speaker add their own distortion.
Regards from Germany, Ingmar

Posted : 04/08/2016 7:18 pm

I have the same problem with my Yamaha Reface CP. The right speaker sounds awful. I already gave one keyboard back at the store I bought it from and received a new one - but this one has the same problem. Distorted sound in the right speaker, most annoying when playing RdI at 60% - 100% volume. Solve the problem, Yamaha.

Posted : 27/11/2016 9:02 am

I use a Bose Sounlink Mini bluetooth speaker to amplify the sound when travelling (wired, of course), and that makes the experience very enjoyable.

Gusztav - I have also portable speaker Bose Soundlink mini 2 and I am planning to purchase Reface CP and to amplify by this speaker. Could you tell me please, does your Raface has got a latency on Bose speaker?
I am asking, because plugging Bose speaker to my digital piano Roland FP30, I have noticeable latency.

Posted : 09/06/2018 12:26 am

Hello,
I have a CP with distortion in the right speaker as described by Christoph above. As a contrast the left speaker has wonderful sound.It seems the distortion problem also limits the overall volume even when connected to my PA system. I am wondering if it is a Right speaker problem or the a problem in the circuit of the right channel. Any suggestions?
Michael

Posted : 22/11/2018 2:08 pm
 al

same problem
is not a speaker problem. try to input some audio using the aux line and you will see that the speakers work perfectly fine. problem is not the speakers, problem is not the amplifier, neither the audio chipset. is something in between.

Posted : 24/10/2019 12:04 pm

@al I haven't verified, but your observations sure narrow down the problem. Maybe it is a problem with the circuitry that handles AUX in. Has anyone tried patching line out or headphone out into the aux in as a workaround? I haven't yet; want to study it a bit more first.

Posted : 01/12/2019 10:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us