Notifications
Clear all

DX Mono Notes

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Sean
Topic starter

Hi, I've been wondering this for a while so thought I'd ask.

When the note mode is set to Mono-Full, why when I play a ntote and hold, then play a second note does the second note blur in as a continuation of the first? Isn't that Legato? It's as if the Mono-Full and Mono-Legato are doing the same thing.

I'm sure this isn't right at all and if it is then an update if possible would be good to allow this.. Just to clarify, you would play a note and hold then play the second and just like in Poly mode the second note would come through whole but the first note would be killed.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Posted : 04/12/2015 10:49 am
Bad Mister

When the note mode is set to Mono-Full, why when I play a ntote and hold, then play a second note does the second note blur in as a continuation of the first?

MONO-FULL is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, as you describe here... When you play a note and hold it, then play another note... You are describing MONO behavior

Isn't that Legato?

Yes, that is the musical term, legato...

It's as if the Mono-Full and Mono-Legato are doing the same thing.

I can see where you are confused, but they do not do the same thing. The difference between MONO-FULL and MONO-LEGATO has to do with the application of Portamento. Portamento is the ability to "glide" between notes which is available in mono mode on the DX.

MONO-FULL applies Portamento between notes "full time" (Full is short for "full time" - at all times, according to the values determined by Portamento
MONO-LEGATO applies the Portamento value only when you play "legato" (which you properly described in your question.

So yes, if Portamento is 0 they are the same.
Apply some Portamento. (The parameter "Portamento" shows up whenever you select one of the two Mono modes).
Set a Portamento value other than 0
Now compare the behavior during legato play. Play two notes one octave apart. Play "staccato", then play "legato"

That's the difference. Hope that helps.

Posted : 04/12/2015 12:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us