Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Problem with midi out on DX

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey, super new to computer music I'm sure this is simple stuff, but when i plug my dx in to usb to use with ableton i can only get stock ableton sounds to output through my headphones. How can I use the sounds that are on the dx?

Posted : 06/07/2016 1:35 am
Bad Mister

How can I use the sounds that are on the dx?

You need to connect the audio outputs of the reface DX to your audio interface.
Do you have an audio interface? The USB jack on the reface DX is MIDI only.

MIDI is not audio. It is a series of coded messages that represent a musical performance. Much like the holes punched in a piano roll represent a musical performance to an old style Player Piano, MIDI data makes no sound (audio) it must be interpreted by a device capable of reading the coded messages.

You need an audio interface if you want to record audio into your computer. With just USB connected to reface you must record the track and play it back through the reface DX. So if your goal is to build multiple tracks you need an audio interface - this will receive incoming audio and send it to your computer, it will take audio in your computer and route it to the speakers you connect to the audio interface.

Posted : 06/07/2016 1:53 pm

Hello, I have a different problem but since it's also with the midi USB and DX I thought I could post it here. I have the Reface CP, CS and DX. The CP and CS work fine when plugged into my sound card (Apogee Duet USB) via audio outputs + midi USB, but the DX is causing trouble. The sound is ok but I can't seem to change the bank sounds, it seems the midi USB is causing some bug as I can only select the first sound. When I click on any other button to select another sound or bank the screen on the DX becomes glitchy and it reverts to the sound 1 of bank 1.

Any tips on how I could solve this problem? It doesn't happen when I unplug the midi USB. I use the DX with the latest update.

Posted : 20/07/2016 11:31 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry you are having an issue. It sounds as if you have some kind of MIDI loop. I understand you are connected to an audio interface. The reface DX is connected to your computer via USB - but you stop short of telling us to what software you are connected and where you are routing the MIDI data.

Let us know... Start by turning LOCAL CONTROL = OFF on the reface DX.

Posted : 21/07/2016 2:29 am

Hello Bad Mister, thanks a lot for your reply. Sorry for the lack of precision: I'm connected to my Duet via USB Midi and my DAW is Ableton Live 9 with the DX set up as an External Instrument. All the notes work, and also most of the DX functions. The only problem is with the banks that can't be selected on the DX when connected, I'm stuck with the DigiChord preset.

I turned LOCAL CONTROL = OFF but to no avail. Awaiting your instructions captain 🙂

Edit: I think I managed to solve the problem by turning off the MIDI Input of the Duet USB on the Ableton settings. Not the perfect solution as I have to use another MIDI keyboard or my Push controller to play the notes but it's good enough for me in the studio. It would be awesome if I could solve this for when I'm on the move and want to just use my laptop, Duet USB and DX as controller/synth.

Posted : 21/07/2016 10:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us