Reface CS LFO

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 alan
Topic starter

Hi.
Quick question..
I've recently got the CS. It's a great addition to my setup and it's a beast of a synth in a little package! Very happy with it.
Is there any way to...
A. Change the pitch bend from 1 octave (which is pretty useless on such a small travel) to maybe a whole note or a 5th?
B. Be able to switch the LFO restart off on key press? Can the LFO be legato? Eg, playing deep bass in mono with portamento and each key press restarts the LFO?

Little annoying things that I think would enable far more expressive playing as the sound of the CS begs to be exploited.

Many thanks.

Posted : 08/03/2016 1:30 am
Bad Mister

Hi Alan,

The PB range has been addressed in an update. Be sure to checkout Soundmondo - hundreds of sounds are available... You can jump there from this site.

Version Updater changes
【V1.01 → V1.20】
Additional features and specifications changes
For reface CS
• The pitch bend range can now be switched between “12” (1 octave) and “2” (2 semitones).
• The LOOPER can now quantize at either sixteenth notes or eighth-note triplets.

Pitch Bend Range can be switched while powering the instrument ON, as follows:

While holding down the C3 key, press the Standby/On switch to toggle the pitch bend range between “12” (1 octave) and “2” (2 semitones).
Factory default setting: “12” (1 octave)
Display when set
• “12” (1 octave): Lamps from the LOOPER section light up. • “2” (2 semitones): Lamps from the LOOPER section flash

Confirm the Pitch Bend Range
While holding down the C#2 key, press the Standby/On switch to confirm the pitch bend range by using the OSC Multi-saw lamp.
If the Multi Saw lamp is lit PB range is 1 octave
If the Multi Saw lamp is flashing PB range is a whole step (2 semi-tones)

-- What to do --
Power ON your reface while holding middle C (octave up from the lowest key) if your unit does not execute the switch ....
Head over to the Official Yamaha Download site and download the version 1.20 updater for your refaceCS

http://download.yamaha.com

Select your country
Type in MODEL NAME: reface CS
Confirm the SEARCH RESULTS: reface CS
Under the heading "Software" find the updated firmware - the download will include the instructions.

Posted : 08/03/2016 2:38 am
 alan
Topic starter

Many thanks for that. Update done and works perfectly. The LFO issue has been resolved as well. Couldn't be happier.

Regards.

Posted : 08/03/2016 4:20 pm

Hi Alan,

First I want to say I absolutely love the CS (and the CP which I bought first), so thanks Yamaha for creating such awesome little synths. I think the DX will be next...

Regarding the original post, I was also wondering if there's a way to re-trigger the LFO when a new note is played. Did you manage to set that up Alan? This is something I'd really like to be able to do 🙂

Posted : 08/04/2016 12:09 am
 max

alan wrote:

Many thanks for that. Update done and works perfectly. The LFO issue has been resolved as well. Couldn't be happier.

Regards.

So the LFO is running free now (not triggered by key press (?). I'm not sure I understand, so could you please confirm ? Thanks.

Posted : 21/10/2016 4:20 pm
Bad Mister

I don't believe there has been any change in how the LFO works. If your ADSR has 0 Release time ("R" all the down), the LFO restarts with each Key On.

If your ADSR is set so there is a Release Time, this time will be applied and a new Note-On struck during its "time" does not restart the LFO. Same as it ever was, as far as I know.

Posted : 21/10/2016 5:22 pm
 max

Thanks for your reply.
Personally I find this behaviour a big drawback, and so I'm still unsure wether or not I'll buy the CS. Same for the DX. Too bad it can't be changed. I'm still hoping Yamaha will come up with an update adding this function.

Posted : 21/10/2016 8:30 pm
 max

Well, I bought the DX in the end. It's such a cool little synth, even with this limitation on the LFO. 🙂

Posted : 25/10/2016 8:24 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us