Clear all

Yamaha S90ES sustain problem

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Bryan
Topic starter

Hey guys,
first of all, I'm sorry for my english, it's not perfect. I'm a hungarian guy, english is not my mother language!
So... I have a Yamaha S90ES stage piano since 2004. I've had never problem with it. However, yesterday something happened with the sustain function.
1. When I press the sustain pedal (vfp1) nothing is happening. (I use it since 2004 and it was fine allways)
2. After I pressed the sustain pedal I pull it out from the keyboard, the sustain function is always on. As if the sustain pedal pressed constantly be.
3. I can't stop it until I change preset/voice/etc.
4. When I change preset/voice/etc the sustain function doesn't work again. Just a same situation again and again.
5. I didn't changed the settings!!!
Does anybody have a similar experience?
Suggestions, ideas or solutions?
Thank you for everybody who will help me!

Posted : 10/03/2016 9:03 am
Bad Mister

Suggestions, ideas or solutions?

Sounds like your Sustain pedal is no longer working. We highly recommend getting the Yamaha FC3 (or FC3A) sustain pedal which gives access to the Half Damper piano techniques introduced to Yamaha Synths with the S90 ES. See page 59 of your S90 ES Owner's Manual for details on compatible pedals.

Posted : 10/03/2016 7:11 pm
Bryan
Topic starter

I hope you're right! 🙂 That would be the easier way to fix the problem. 🙂
Today I'll get a FC3 pedal and we'll see...
Thank you for your reply!

Posted : 11/03/2016 9:58 am
Bryan
Topic starter

Finally I got two pedals to try them. One of them a same pedal like my sustain pedal, it's a VFP 1. The other one is a FC3 pedal.
First of all I tryed the VFP 1. I was interested how works a same one like my pedal. Maybe the type of the pedal is right and just my pedal doesn't work.
So, I tryed it but the VFP 1 reproduced the same problem. And then I tryed th FC3 and everything was fine!
I don't know what changed... I used the type of VFP 1 since 2004! Everything was Ok! And now this type of pedals making chaos in the S90Es. I don't understand it!!!
But ... however ... I'm happy, because not the S90ES is wrong. And I can work with a FC3. Or maybe a FC4.

Posted : 05/04/2016 9:21 am
Bad Mister

Here's why: YAMAHA makes the S90 ES and YAMAHA makes FC3 and FC4

VFP1 ????

Posted : 05/04/2016 11:45 am
Bryan
Topic starter

That's right!
But, I bought my S90ES in a SamAsh Store and I bought the VFP1 pedal with it at the same place at the same time for the S90ES. (2004) And the pedal worked for 12 years. And since March 9 it doesn't work. 😮
This is what I don't understand. If something is working for 12 years why don't working today?
But Ok, let's get a FC3 or FC4! 🙂

Posted : 07/04/2016 2:20 pm
Bad Mister

You got 12 years out of the pedal, that's fairly good for a pedal. I have a Yamaha FC4 that I got back in 1983 with my DX7 that still works. They all have a life span - but the good news is if you get an FC3 or FC3A pedal (the recommended Yamaha pedal) you will finally be able to hear and use the Half Dampering feature that was first introduced to Yamaha Synthesizers back in 2004 with the S90 ES... for the past 12 years it has been sitting there unused!!!

Half Damper function that lets you finely control the decay of the sound-and expressively recreate the complex characteristics of acoustic instruments, especially piano and stringed instruments.

Posted : 07/04/2016 3:40 pm
Bryan
Topic starter

It sounds good! Thank you! 🙂

Posted : 08/04/2016 12:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us