Reface DX Feature requests

36 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
13 K Views
Martin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here is another feature request, an old Yamaha trick known from FB01 and TX81Z: an option to let the Reface respond to ALL, EVEN, or ODD incoming Midi NoteOn Number messages. With 2 combined Reface keyboards you could get pseudo-doubled polyphony by setting one to Odd and the other to Even...

Posted : 11/08/2016 8:01 pm
gris
 gris
Eminent Member

More patch memories please!

Posted : 13/08/2016 11:17 pm

..are there any news about a firmware update? itΒ΄s a shame not to use the great effects on audio in signals...

btw. is there any reface(dx) community with a little bit more frequency? seems to more or less a deadly place here, canΒ΄t believe it..

Posted : 12/09/2016 7:40 pm
Martin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

btw. is there any reface(dx) community with a little bit more frequency? seems to more or less a deadly place here, canΒ΄t believe it..

Take a look at these Facebook groups:

Facebook: Yamaha Reface group
Facebook: Soundmondo group

Posted : 14/09/2016 7:44 pm
Joe
 Joe
Eminent Member

Hi Yamaha,

Having a macro page would be very nice. That is, being able to select different parameters to assign to the four sliders.

+1 to the many feasible and great suggestions so far.

The Reface DX is a great design, very enjoyable to play and edit and like many, I'm always keen for new tweaks/features/functionality/enhancements.

Posted : 24/09/2016 12:28 am

Loving the Reface DX! I'm using it not only as a synth but also as a master MIDI controller, and I must say the key action is incredible. I second all the above requests and would like to add one more: User selectable velocity response curves, including a fixed velocity setting with a user defined value from 1 to 127. Most decent MIDI controllers have this, and I personally find it very useful. Below is an example taken from the Roland A-49 MIDI keyboard which I also own:

PS: I love the Reface small factor AND the feel of the keybed beyond my ability to convey. If Yamaha made a controller only (no synth) keyboard with these keys I'd buy it. I believe there's an unexplored market opportunity for high-quality small-factor MIDI keyboards and clearly Yamaha knows a thing or two about keys;)

My dream specification is as follows:

• 37, 49, 61 key formats
  • Exactly the same synth-action keys found on the Reface series (did I mention how much I love these keys?)
  • Narrow bezel to the left and right of the keys, to save length-wise desk space
  • A few high-quality (as seen on the Reface products) faders, knobs and push buttons along the top to send CC
  • User-selectable velocity response curves, as described previously.
  • Polyfonic aftertouch (users should be able to turn this on/off though).
  • USB bus-powered operation so no extra cables are needed.
  • Use keys of the keyboard itself for data entry, thus saving space.
  • MIDI out port, using 3.5 mm jack connector instead of the typical 5-pin DIN or Mini-DIN which wastes space.
  • Shell made of high-quality rugged plastic.
  • Shell plastic NOT painted; instead use raw plastic which is more durable and scratch-immune.
  • Independent dedicated octave transpose and semitone transpose buttons (total two pairs of buttons). Press both buttons simultaneously to reset transpose.

The market is in need of small-factor high-quality MIDI controller keyboards, because producers need to save space on their desks, or need a high-quality mobile solution. Currently all small-factor MIDI keyboards are cheaply made and the keys are of very low quality. Even the full-size key controllers are generally garbage. Just check Gearslutz: there is a consensus that the only controller keyboards that can be considered high-end are 1) the Novation SL mk2, sporting Fatar keys, and 2) the Roland A-PRO and A-49. And yet, the build quality of these doesn't even come close to the Reface line, plus, they have full-size keys. The full-size key controller market is already pretty well catered for. Companies keep trying to reinvent the keyboard and each new model that hits the market is just as bad as all the previous ones. But luckily there the few good ones I just mentioned. Now we need small-factor keyboards. I applaud Yamaha for their decision to release a small-format line of quality products such as the Reface, and I hope they extends this technology and their know-how to controller-only keyboards. πŸ™‚

Posted : 28/09/2016 4:46 pm

It's me again. I've been about a month playing with this bad boy. In the process, I noticed the TRANSPOSE function only transposes the sound of the Reface DX, but not the transmitted MIDI notes. I also use it as a master MIDI controller for my DAW. When I transpose, the DX and the other plugin instruments in my DAW sound out of tune. Can Yamaha improve this by also transposing the MIDI out notes? This could be rolled out as a firmware update. Much appreciated πŸ™‚

Posted : 27/10/2016 9:36 pm

πŸ™‚

Posted : 28/10/2016 12:18 pm

Sry

Posted : 30/10/2016 9:40 pm

gris wrote:
That would be nice
More patch memories please!

Posted : 04/11/2016 11:34 am
 alan

I just bought a DX and it's a very nice addition to my studio. Not the first FM synth I use but this one combined with the soundmondo community for presets sharing and ipad editor (non official, Lemur preset) makes it a great little beast. And keyboard action is very nice.

Now my requests so far are like some already asked for:
- more memory locations. With the variety of possible sounds you can get out of it 32 is really a drawback. 128 would be nice but even 64 would be more than welcomed. Please let us know there is still some memory left on the board to allow for that !
- the ability to have a sysex dump function in the function menu with the usual choice in that case: send one program, send all program, send all data (that is presets and any global data)
- ability to edit all 4 enveloppes at the same time (for instance with a 5th tab on the menu of each
- full iOS/android editor with all the parameters of the synthetis available, with some action like copy/paste settings (for enveloppe, operators etc). There are some good layout for Lemur and Midi Designer Pro but I would imagine Yamaha to be able to program such a nice editor, especially knowing their knowledge in the field (i'm a sound engineer using the ipad editors for the range of Yamaha digital mixing desk and I call tell they are a very well designed and programmed).

I dont expect features that would affect the synthesis itself (like second lfo or more modulation source), I guess this is more complicated to implement but the presets number and handling would really be a relief.

Posted : 01/03/2017 10:43 pm

Dealay effect and LFO syncable to clock please.

Posted : 07/03/2017 10:47 pm

I love my DX and have been making all my synth nerd friends jealous every time I take it out πŸ™‚

Just wanted to add my voice to the thread:

+1 to:

* Selectable Pitch stick mode where it works like a modulation Source that can be assigned to any and several parameters instead of just bending the Pitch.

Yes! This! Please! This would bring the Montage "super knob" kind of mentality to the DX. Already the DX is the most immediate FM synth with this level of depth that I have ever played, but this would allow us to do some amazing things.

and
+1 to:

* More Modulation Sources and destinations (Feedback Levels being a very important one to be able to modulate).

Being able to modulate Feedback would be very cool.

Thanks Yamaha for making a super rad synth and engaging with users in a positive way!

Posted : 22/08/2017 6:08 pm
Martin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yet another feature request for the Reface keyboards:

The MIDI breakout cable has MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT.

It would be nice to have a firmware update that allows me to make the MIDI-OUT act as MIDI-THRU.
Explained for MIDI newbies: This means sending out all mididata that are received in MIDI-IN thru directly and unchanged to the MIDI-OUT. If you then connect this MIDIOUT=MIDITHRU to the MIDI-IN of another MIDI device (for example another Reface) you can control control multiple device from one masterkeyboard.

Posted : 24/08/2017 11:29 am

Yamaha- Now that you have nailed it on the head with the mini-key action (I live for the feel and playability of my instrument and have played a Korg Microarranger for 3 years now, thinking that was pretty good- now I only want to play the Reface CP WOW!!!! I am so happy with it. It feels so good even with the onboard speakers!) I promise you there is a market for a 5-octave and even a 7-octave combo keyboard with CP and the organs included (why not some strings, too?). All I can say is this instrument does not get boring. The 'hackable' acoustic piano is my life these days musically on the CP. It is really that playable, and once people discover that, you guys will have created the ultimate portable total keyboard solution. Split the keyboard and have two sounds, I can just imagine a gig with that. I don't need anything more than the reface as far as feel and playability, and now I have ultimate portability. Very impressive, guys. Thanks for making it so rich and exciting to play again, and anywhere, I mean anywhere I want to play. PS: a 72 mini-key version wouldn't hurt. Love love love these keys. When I can afford the organ model I'm grabbing it.

Posted : 31/08/2017 12:09 am
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us