Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

SUGGESTION: Please ADD an SD card slot to store patches/ performances on your next iteration of reface!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Robert
Topic starter

I think it would ADD interest to the product if you included an SD card slot in the next iteration of the reface, so one could store patches and performances locally. Also, you could offer us first-generation buyers an opportunity to trade in our reface models for the newer models. Don't get me wrong, I love the Reface capture app, but it would eliminate the need for one more cable, and some of us don't have a camera connection kit (personally I do, but that's just me)...however, I will find great use for the capture app when SoundMondo.com finally comes online.

If you could pass this along to the designers and programmers, please.

P.S. Maybe you could think about upping to a 6-operator model, instead of 4, and allow us to apply the 8 wave-forms to each of the operators instead of just one wave-form. And how about adding back the white and pink noise generators?? There are some things that the DX100 could do that the Reface DX still can't do... Please keep this in mind.

Thanks.

Posted : 30/11/2015 10:32 pm
Martin
Eminent Member

Robert wrote:
P.S. Maybe you could think about upping to a 6-operator model, instead of 4, and allow us to apply the 8 wave-forms to each of the operators instead of just one wave-form. And how about adding back the white and pink noise generators?? There are some things that the DX100 could do that the Reface DX still can't do... Please keep this in mind.
Thanks.

8 waveforms (TX81Z and newer) were nice, but I think the improved variable Feedback for each operator that the new RefaceDx has is an even more powerful feature. BTW: The DX100 only had sine wave, not 8 waveforms, no pink or white noise generators. But it was noisy by itself LOL 😀 (P.S. I know what I am talking about. O own one.)

Posted : 01/12/2015 11:08 am
Robert
Topic starter

[quote8 waveforms (TX81Z and newer) were nice, but I think the improved variable Feedback for each operator that the new RefaceDx has is an even more powerful feature. BTW: The DX100 only had sine wave, not 8 waveforms, no pink or white noise generators. But it was noisy by itself LOL 😀 (P.S. I know what I am talking about. O own one.) ]

@Martin I owned a Yamaha DX100 from 1988 to 1990, and in that time learned to program it pretty thoroughly. Perhaps we have a misunderstanding of the language. In FM synthesis, you have different waveforms that you can apply, like sine, square, sawtooth up, sawtooth down, triangle, square, sample-and-hold, and sample-and-hold x8. Pretty standard stuff, right? Perhaps I am confusing this with LFO filters parameters. My point was, that you could apply these separately to EACH of the four operators, rather than just using a feedback filter to apply one wave-form to all four operators. I do also seem to remember there were noise filters, but I am getting on in years, so may not be remembering correctly. I also had a breath controller for my keyboard.

I remember being able to program complex voices like a realistic sounding dulcimer voice, a wind efx sound, and a realistic sounding cricket voice. I cannot seem to figure out how to program those types of voices on the reface, but I did recently program a close approximation of a koto sound. Perhaps I don't understand enough about FM synthesis, or have forgotten too much about it to be able to make proper adjustments to get the type of sounds I'm after.

Posted : 02/12/2015 12:21 am
Martin
Eminent Member

The 4 operators of the DX100 really are only sine wave operators. It was and still is an amazing experience that even these 4 simple sine wave operators, hooked together into algoritms, can already create such complex waveforms! Even the DX7/DX7II only used sine waves in the 6 operators. The extremely complex monstersynths SY77/SY99 could use AWM samples and multiple waveforms for each operator.

You are indeed confused with the LFO wave forms.
The LFO has square, sawtooth, etc. waveforms but that's a different story.
With the introduction of the TX81Z each operator could have 8 different waveforms. These were not those standard waveforms that we know from the LFO or from analog synths, but 8 specially designed waveforms. Don't underestimate the innovation and the power of the new type of Feedback loops in the RefaceDX compared to the simple single Feedback loop on operator #4 in the DX100 and TX81Z.

I also know what I am talking about. I own a DX100, and have owned an YS200 and a V50 in the past. Also I am the creator of YSEDITOR for the Atari ST. You might know it, as you seems are from those days.

Posted : 02/12/2015 8:26 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us