Notifications
Clear all

Reface DX & MIDI keyboard

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Sean
Topic starter

Hi, So I have my MIDI keyboard connected to the Reface to use the Mod wheel(Side thought but why can't the pitchbend stick be assigned to modulate the LFO, I noticed the new Korg Minilogue allows this, would it be possible in a Firmware update?)

So the MIDI keyboard works fine to play the Reface and use the PitchBend and Mod Wheel but I can't play or control my VST's with it, only with the Reface.

Can someone explain how I would go about getting the MIDI keyboard into my DAW too, I believe I can use a MIDI splitter out of the MIDI keyboard and have 1 cable go straight to my interface and 1 to the Reface, would this work?

I tried connecting the MIDI from my interface to the OUT of the Reface MIDI cable thinking it would create some chain from the MIDI keyboard to the Interface but it doesn't seem to work.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted : 22/01/2016 1:02 pm
Bad Mister

Use your DAW to split the signal.. You can spend money but it would be totally unnecessary. Unfortunately you don't give us many details, but your computer can act as a distribution box for your MIDI signal.

Posted : 22/01/2016 3:36 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't aware I could do it with the DAW, What specific details can help? I'm on Cubase 8.5, Interface is an AKAI EIE Pro and CME UF6 keyboard

Cubase doesn't see any signal coming from the MIDI Keyboard, only the Reface..

Any info appreciated or where to look, aside from that the splitter cable should work fine?

Thanks.

Posted : 22/01/2016 9:11 pm
Bad Mister

Cubase Pro 8.5 allows you choose multiple devices as input sources for MIDI Tracks and allows multiple tracks to be selected (so you can transmit to multiple devices simultaneously.

Connect the reface to your computer via USB
You will want to set Local Control = OFF zone the reface DX, go to [Function]... Press the button repeatedly until you find LOCAL CONTROL
Set it to OFF

Connect your keyboard controller to the computer as required by the type of interface it uses.
In Cubase, go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI Port Setup
In the column "In All MIDI Iputs" mark the Ports for you input devices:
Port 1 of the Yamaha reface DX, and the port of the Midi keyboard

When you create a MIDI Track in Cubase you can set the IN to "All MIDI Inputs"... Because you marked the reface and your controller either one can be used to trigger the sound.

Set the MIDI OUT of that track to the reface DX Port 1
While the track is highlighted (selected) playing either keyboard will control the reface DX.

In order to also play a VST in Cubase create the VST Instrument. It will create a MIDI Track which either keyboard can trigger.

By selecting (highlighting) *both* MIDI Tracks you are able to trigger both the reface DX and your VST.

Cubase can reroute the MIDI to as many devices as you wish. Selecting (highlighting) multiple tracks means you can simultaneously trigger multiple devices.

That's how you do it. Hope that helps.

Posted : 24/01/2016 10:41 am
 Sean
Topic starter

Hi, thanks for the response.

All that is assuming I have another output on my MIDI keyboard, I know how to set them up independently, I guess the one detail I missed out was I only have the 1 MIDI Out from the keyboard so it is going straight into the Reface only, or straight to my computer.

That's why I was asking about the physical MIDI splitter, would it work and otherwise is not possible for Cubase to see the MIDI keyboard through the Reface? Like how I originally described by having the OUT cable of the Reface DIN Splitter connected to my interface? This creates a loop of sorts no?

MIDI Keyboard> Reface > Interface

Where it would appear as a MIDI device?

Hope that makes sense, this stuff is basic but goes over my head.:D

Thanks,

Posted : 24/01/2016 11:48 am
Bad Mister

Both keyboard connect to the computer, only. The computer (Cubase) does the routing.

Do not connect the controller keyboard to reface.
Connect the controller keyboard to the computer (we don't know that controller - you may need to connect it to your interface's MIDI jack) please consult the documentation that comes with it.

Posted : 24/01/2016 12:52 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

AHHHHHH, I've got you now! So I've been doing it wrong all along lol

I've got it woring this way now, the only downside being I need a program like Cubase to use the Controller wit it(?) but not a big deal, also there appears to be no latency when using it this way, that's correct yes?

Thanks. 🙂

Posted : 24/01/2016 1:27 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

I'm having an issue when playing the Reface or keyboard when it is setup within Cubase and I'm playing through it, the notes seem to hang on certain notes? I thought it was to do with the controls on the Reface but it happens with Local off and Control off or on...

Anyone else get this, is it a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Posted : 18/03/2016 9:13 pm
Bad Mister

Hung notes are almost always caused by a MIDI routing issue. Can you please provide some (exact) details about how you are setup?

Posted : 18/03/2016 9:27 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

Hi, It's the Reface via USB into Cubase, with my CME UF6 MIDI keyboard connected Via MIDI to my AKAI EIE Pro

In Cubase I'm using a MIDI channel with the MIDI out set to the Reface DX, input is ALL MIDI Inputs but it doesn't seem to matter whetherthe IN is set to that or to the Reface or to the AKAI MIDI Input.. while playing either the problem persists, it happens in Poly/Legato or Mono mode and with the Local and Control settings on or off..

All coming out MIDI port 1.

Hope that is enough info, any other specifics needed please ask.

Thanks.

Posted : 18/03/2016 11:42 pm
Bad Mister

In Cubase I'm using a MIDI channel with the MIDI out set to the Reface DX, input is ALL MIDI Inputs

Okay, then go DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP > in the column on the far right, "In All MIDI Inputs" you should have only two devices marked, the reface DX, and the Midi port of your Akai (for your CME), make sure all other items in this column are NOT marked... Click OK

Since you have just two devices that you want to use as controllers, you must ensure that these are the only two devices inputting Midi data to your MIDI Tracks.

You should be using LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. Don't guess about this, use LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. This way you can use either keyboard as a controller, and you determine what device plays back or makes sound in response to your key presses. You do so by setting the MIDI Track Out settings in the Track Inspector.

If you are getting no sound, it is because Local Control Off disconnects the reface keys from triggering the reface tone engine. Key presses travel OUT to the Midi Track, and must be routed OUT to a tone generator. In order to complete the circuit you must have an active Midi track *selected* (highlighted).

Other causes of hung notes could be use of the sustain pedal in excess. The reface DX is eight note poly, exceeding polyphony with sustain pedal action can hang notes.

If the problem persists, I suggest, as a test, removing (disconnect) the CME from the configuration and see if the hung note issue goes away.

Posted : 19/03/2016 2:41 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us