Clear all

Reface MIDI Clock Sync

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
11.7 K Views
Topic starter

Hi all,

Just confirming: the CS and DX will sync to MIDI clock; the YC and CP will not. Is that correct? The MIDI chart has a big "X" for "System: Clock Transmitted/Recognized" under the YC & CP chart, so I assume that is the case but I wanted to double check before I began cabling them up to my drum machines.

Regards,

Mike

Posted : 05/10/2015 3:24 am
Maarten

I don't know for sure, but it would make sense.

MIDI clock has to do with timing. The CP and YC both have nothing to sync. The CS and DX however each have a looper, and my guess is that the tempo of the looper can synchronize with a MIDI clock.

So it seems correct.

Maarten

Posted : 05/10/2015 6:59 am
Bad Mister

Confirmed.

Posted : 05/10/2015 11:04 am
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister!

Maarten wrote:

MIDI clock has to do with timing. The CP and YC both have nothing to sync. The CS and DX however each have a looper, and my guess is that the tempo of the looper can synchronize with a MIDI clock.

Maarten

Thanks Maarten! It would of been nice to sync the delay on the CP, but I can dial it in by ear so its occlusion is not a really a big deal. The YC's rotary and vibrato are more of an on/off deal, so I agree... nothing really to sync there! In addition to the looper, the DX/CS may benefit from syncing delays & LFOs (have not tested yet), so I am glad to see it implemented.

Posted : 05/10/2015 3:36 pm

Hi,

How does the CS sync the looper to Midi Clock? Is it synced to a beat or a bar or another interval? Also, reading earlier that the receive channel via the midi din IN cannot be saved, has to go down as a bug. I hope it gets looked at as I don't think I could buy one knowing it won't integrate with other midi hardware.

Kind regards,
Mike

Posted : 14/10/2015 3:06 pm
Bad Mister

That's a question and a misstatement.

First the answer to the question: the looper simply counts beats as you start to play. It's Midi clock so it starts on command and references the tempo received.

It integrates just fine with external hardware. You connect to a computer or iPhone/iPad via USB. if to a computer you will use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver on the reface's own port.

You connect to an external controller via standard MIDI.

It integrates just fine with other MIDI a hardware!!! What is your application for reface? Currently, there is a narrow use case where this is an issue, and it's basic MIDI message to access the parameters. We shouldn't be afraid of MIDI messages when using this as a module.

Posted : 14/10/2015 4:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. I think you are saying it syncs the looper to the nearest beat of incoming clock.

RE the omni situation, it might be getting old now, but going midi out from one instrument to another still happens. Someone might want to feed the keyboard a channel from an electribe, or a yamaha qy or anything really. Korg are getting into trouble because their volca sample consumes 10 of the 16 channels in a midi setup. Yours consumes all 16.

IMHO the default behaviour should be opposite. 1 channel by default specified and saved on bootup. Omni should be selectable via midi.

Kind regards,
Mike

Posted : 15/10/2015 6:01 am

..and just so you know where I am coming from, I want this to be a massive success:

https://yamaha-reface-cs.mautic.com/

I wish I had bought an AN1X back in the day.

😀

Mike

Posted : 15/10/2015 6:25 am

Hello - I'm checking here to find out if the DELAY (Analog or Digital) on the CP can be synchronized via MIDI...?

I must disagree with the opinion that "The CP and YC both have nothing to sync" - I haven't found any specific documentation on the behavior of the delay timing... but I was hoping that once midi clock is received, the rate would switch from "free" to quantized time divisions (perhaps MIDI Control "ON" is necessary?)

In a live setup, syncing the delay to a drum-track or any other machine/DAW seems like an obvious advantage, as the Digital Delay, in particular, holds loops for quite a long time, making it even more jam-friendly... (*maybe a firmware update could add that sort of function in the future??)

**It would have also been nice if the delay didn't cut out immediately when switching OFF the effect's toggle-switch (many other machines/effects I have let it trail off instead of cutting abruptly.

Cheers for any further info.

Posted : 30/11/2015 11:12 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us