Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

any way to set sensitivity of the reface CP keys?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

just curious if there is a way to set sensitivity of the keyboard, if not hopefully a future featuring

Posted : 05/10/2015 5:57 am
Maarten

How would you like to change it? More sensitive, less sensitive?

Maarten

Posted : 05/10/2015 6:52 am
Topic starter

trying different, do u know how?

Posted : 05/10/2015 8:04 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi.
On Reface DX :

Edit OP1 or 2 or 3 or 4 (you have one setting for each OP) :
Page 2
Vel-S
Settings are from 0 to 127

On Reface CP, i didn't know if ti's possible or not.

Posted : 05/10/2015 7:04 pm
Bad Mister

alessandro wrote:

just curious if there is a way to set sensitivity of the keyboard, if not hopefully a future featuring

No, there is no way to set or adjust the sensitivity of the reface CP keyboard (sic)... We know what you mean, you want a way to adjust how the tone generator responds to the playing of the reface CP keybed.

No doubt, you will develop a "new" technique playing the HQ-mini... The other day while watching TV, I was working out some chord progressions on the reface CP in Phones, (I find watching sports and playing reface CP in headphones, extremely relaxing), I reached a new plateau in my own HQ-mini technique. It is a very "wide curve" and surprisingly responsive to the touch. It does, however, take an internal adjustment to the dynamic response range of the reface, but like anything, the more you play it, the better you are able to evoke the exact response you are going for... Headphones help you get into the depths of the sound and the subtle changes as you increase velocity... and gets you, literally, closer to your sound. Great headphones make all the difference.

As to future updates, we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted : 06/10/2015 2:49 am
 Lu

this would be a really good feature for the CP, the default setting requires you really thump the keyboard on rhodes 1 in lower octaves to be able to hear it at all, which is true to the original, except this is a much smaller (moveable) unit. really makes the bass just about unplayable, maybe if you are male with bigger heavier hands, but my hands are small so i have to exert a huge amount of force which sacrifices the precision needed on a smaller keybed.

it needs to be fixed. it’s barely playable. and rhodes 1 bass sounds are the best part of the instrument.

Posted : 13/10/2018 2:04 am

As to future updates, we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dear Bad Mister/ Yamaha. Regardless of velocity curves, I think in any event a firmware update that makes the CP sound engine respond to midi velocity 1 should be released. The keyboard of the CP itself works find but after some testing in Cubase I found that the CP sound engine does only respond to midi velocities from to 2 to 127. The problem with that is that when you play some even slightly gentle stuff, with the current calibration it really isn’t hard for the device to miss / skip notes.

I bought the Reface CP two weeks ago. For a high quality device like the CP, and the price tag it is (still) sold at, an issue like this really should be addressed.

Kind regards,

A long time Yamaha customer.

Charles

Posted : 27/10/2018 11:21 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for your comments. We really think what you are saying “depends”. I’m pretty sure Velocity of 1 is purposefully left with no response, as this is done on even high-end, top-of-the-line synths. Programmers what to leave a small ‘hello’ to folks who attempt to hit a “‘silent key’, just like you can on an acoustic Piano”... (if you’re hitting notes at a Velocity of 1 - they are there smiling at you!)

Check programming on synths like Motif XS/XF, MONTAGE/MODX etc... none of them respond to Velocity =1
And while I know of no songs that call for the ppppppp Soft of a pianissimo, in my over 30 years with the company, I have heard people complain that no matter how soft you play on an electronic device you always get a note... well, you can play a ‘silent note’ on most Yamaha synths. Check it out!

if your Instrument is missing or skipping notes (other than Velocity = 1] then that’s a problem you should look into. That is not normal.
IF you are looking for Velocity = 1 that not playing a sound, is done ‘on purpose’... missing any other notes is a problem with your CP or your controller! As far as I know.

What other Velocity value is missing?

Posted : 28/10/2018 6:09 am

Hi Bad Mister / Yamaha,

First of all many thanks for your quick and helpful response. Much appreciated. The CP properly responds to all velocities between 2 and 127, so fortunately nothing is broken in that respect.

I can see some rationale to what you said. If it is intentionally designed that way, I guess I feel that the physical velocity of the CP keybed should translate to slightly higher midi velocities, at least at the slowest / gentle end of the range. Basically I would expect the CP to trigger a gentle / quiet note at physical velocities using its keybed where it may do that on an actual piano but where it does not on the CP. For an actual 'silent note' I would feel it should have been somewhat slower / more gentle before we get into that territory. I guess this is amatter of calibration of the physical keybed to midi velocity output, in particular at the slower / gentle end. Of course then we enter (somewhat) the area of personal preference and expectations, although there is also objectivity to it.

This is of course why having options in terms of velocity curves are important, but as you stated above that isn't currently in the pipeline. I guess I will have to adapt. It's really just the one (be it very important) area that could be improved of what is otherwise an almost perfect mobile high quality device!

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Charles

Posted : 28/10/2018 2:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us