Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Reface YC, does key RELEASE have constant emulation of switch click/fizz noise? Related percussion question.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 tt
Topic starter

Hello, I have a Voce V5 tonewheel midi organ module. Although subtle every time you release a key you get a little click/hiss sound meant to emulate the key contacts on a Hammond. Do the YC organs all have this sound or similar on key release?

I would like to be able to turn this off if it is a feature.

Regarding the percussion switches, in the "off" position, is percussion completely off? Again, on the Voce V5 you can turn it way down, but it is never completely gone

thanks for your time and any info!

Posted : 27/03/2018 11:18 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I don’t know anything about your Voce.

Keyclick and “fizz noise” were certainly characteristics of an abused B3... seriously things like the Keyclick and to a greater extent, the slow transition time between Slow-Fast Leslie Speed, are things that when your B3 rig started behaving like this you had it worked on.

The slow transition speed is one of those “unfortunate occurrences” that became “hip” but a well tuned Leslie changed speeds almost immediately, its only when your belts got old and worn did that ramp up, ramp down thing take place. Keyclick, again not intended by the manufacturer became “in” (for some folks), but like I said, that was time to get the contacts cleaned, Bank in the day.

If you weren’t there when these Jurassic keyboards were in their heyday, you sometimes don’t have the proper perspective of what these things really meant ... the B3 was one of those keyboards that was in a class by itself.

It’s often funny to see what is now looked at as “hip”... like if you grew up collecting vinyl records, you know that the clicks and pops of the surface noise was bogus. The more you played the record the worse it got... it wasn’t HIP! Not in the least... if you really like the album it was time to buy another copy... but now, folks add that surface noise because they think it’s hip about vinyl (go figure)!

Today it is one of those things that has a life of its own. Like, it’s hip (now) to have your Rotary Speaker Speed ramp up and down... but the key click and fizzy noise is still an acquired taste. Although on the refaceYC there is transition time between slow-fast and fast-slow Rotary Speaker speeds, the Key click and any fizzy noise is reason to get your instrument serviced! There is no Key Click parameter in the reface YC... you do have a separate distortion effect for overdrive effects.... and a reverb.

In the “H” (Hammond) Voice, the percussion (both kinds) are generated using the 1” Drawbar (just as on the B3)... we have to just put off the complaints about losing the 1” drawbar when percussion is activated to the complainers just not knowing how the mighty B3 did things...

The reface YC is a recreation of the tones found in Hammond, Farfisa, Vox, AceTone, and Yamaha organs.
Be sure to play the refaceYC through a full stereo sound system, it’ll knock your socks off... the Rotary Speaker gives the full-on swirling sound that surrounds the listener in the magic. Big big sound from the little refaceYC!

Anyway, there’s a trip down memory lane ... thanks for the question.

Posted : 28/03/2018 1:43 pm
 tt
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister for your reply, sorry I should have been more specific. This is a pre-purchase question, I used to have a Reface YC but can't remember this detail.

I'm well aware of the history [I'm in my 60's] and have read endless descriptions of organ emulators having every last detail of the original beasts [and their quirks] placed in the software.

I have no use for any of that. I'm more in an experimental vein and would purchase a Reface YC just to play with the drawbars and wonderful tones of these old organs. Not trying to sound exactly like anything, but happy to have this broad palette at my disposal.

I used the Voce as an example because I have one here. You hear a distinct but very subtle hissy fizz on every key press and release, AND IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. There is no way to turn it off [I researched this extensively]. I will most likely be selling it for this reason.

So with the 5 models on the YC, when you press and release a key, I'm hoping for just the pure tone [unless percussion is turned on.

Do we get a pure tone [of course in the character of the various models], devoid of emulation of the contact hiss/fizz present on the old organs?

You seem to be saying that is the case. Thanks again, if someone can verify it is just a pure tone on key press and release, for all the YC's organs.

Posted : 28/03/2018 10:44 pm
Bad Mister

Yes we left the stuff out that is questionable ... that’s exactly what I was saying... it’s pure, and any distortion is your to bring in or remove to taste.
The reface keyboards are serious pieces and exactly what you are looking for- - and when played via MIDI from a full sized set of keys, it’s outrageous fun! Stereo sound system or headphones a must for the full sonic experience!

Posted : 29/03/2018 1:29 pm
 tt
Topic starter

Ok sounds good and glad to hear it, thanks for confirming Bad Mister! Reface YC organ is on the way.

Posted : 30/03/2018 8:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us