Notifications
Clear all

using ensoniq asr-10 sequencer live...need reface yc on midi 5

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jay
Topic starter

I'm a very old school hardware sequence user. i do a solo act using an Ensoniq ASR-10 as my sequencing keyboard/sampler. I have a small rack of modules that are all assigned different midi channels. i have been using midi channel 5 for an EMU B-3 module, but i want to set the YC to midi 5 so the sequence will trigger the YC instead of the Emu B3. i dont mind manually setting the drawbars/reverb/distortion etc. the mod wheel seems to work the same for the leslie fast/slow. i just need to know if it is possible to set the YC to receive midi channel 5 notes? what do i have to do to set it up? do i have to get a sysex program and plug it into my pc? Or is all this really worth it???

Posted : 09/01/2018 2:36 am
 Jay
Topic starter

some more info...i do not have midi setup on my pc. i suppose if i need it, i'll have to break down and buy the hardware and get the software needed. i do have an ipad 2, just incase there is a way to set up midi sysex info through it with a ipad midi plug-in.

also, once i set the yc to midi 5. will it stay or will it default back and i'll have to set it everytime i turn it on.

sorry for the questions, but i am completely a noob when it comes to yamaha keyboards. especially hooking them up to computers. i've always just chained sound modules to a controller keyboard and set the midi channels to play their own tracks. set it...forget it.

Posted : 09/01/2018 2:53 am
Bad Mister

i just need to know if it is possible to set the YC to receive midi channel 5 notes? what do i have to do to set it up? do i have to get a sysex program and plug it into my pc? Or is all this really worth it???

You can set the MIDI Receive Channel to Channel 5. This is accomplished by following the power on procedure as outlined in the “reface Version 1.30 Supplementary Manual” Page 25-26. Of course, it is worth it, it will allow you to address the refaceYC on MIDI channel 5.

This means you must have updated the firmware of your refaceYC to version 1.30. You can find the reface updater download through the Yamaha reface product page... it includes the update file and the instructions and Supplementary Manual.

i do not have midi setup on my pc. i suppose if i need it, i'll have to break down and buy the hardware and get the software needed. i do have an ipad 2, just incase there is a way to set up midi sysex info through it with a ipad midi plug-in.

What type of computer do you have? Most computers don’t have MIDI, but most have USB which can be used. You will need to communicate with a computer to accomplish the firmware update. So let us know if your refaceYC is not 1.30

also, once i set the yc to midi 5. will it stay or will it default back and i'll have to set it everytime i turn it on.

Once you setup your refaceYC the settings you set will persist. This means they remain as you’ve set them until you change them or you Reset the instrument. So, yes, it will all be worth it.

Let us know what version refaceYC you are working with.

Posted : 09/01/2018 11:31 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us