Notifications
Clear all

Velocity - CP with slave midi Keyboard

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,

I have been using my reface cp with a 88 keys slave midi keyboard. The cp is much more responsive in terms of velocity (more responsive to hard articulation, with overdrive, for instance). When i try to play de midi slave I really have to push hard the keys and still I don't get the beatifull articulation I get with the reface keys. I understand this is a matter of velocity. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Posted : 21/11/2019 11:50 am
Bad Mister

Hello,

I have been using my reface cp with a 88 keys slave midi keyboard. The cp is much more responsive in terms of velocity (more responsive to hard articulation, with overdrive, for instance). When i try to play de midi slave I really have to push hard the keys and still I don't get the beatifull articulation I get with the reface keys. I understand this is a matter of velocity. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Not only a matter of velocity, but of scale and even psycho-acoustics. I can recall, about 5 years ago, my first experience playing the reface on the then new Yamaha HQ action. I’ve learned that when they introduce a new action, there is much R&D involved. They said that this was a professional mini-key action, my first thought was that this was an oxymoron, like “military intelligence”... but after 10-15 minutes of playing it, I discovered exactly what you have...

You find the “sweet spot” where you can really make that keyboard “speak”. I realize some players cannot make that adjustment... the mini keys, the lack of having to use your shoulders (I can hear my first piano teacher, with the shoulders). When you move to a full size controller it is a whole other scale (not musical) by dynamically, physically. The effort it takes to do stuff is miniaturized... once you make the adjustment you develop a mini-key technique.

When you move to a full-sized piano weighted action.... Different muscles have to be in play to get what you could do with a smaller range of movement on the mini HQ action.

What you can do, if that controller has a “Wide curve” that can help, but what you are experience could be equated to getting ‘spoiled’... like exercising while standing in the pool, you’re lighter, the whole experience is different.

The Wide curve on a full sized ‘board will help a bit — it widens the apparent dynamic range of the controller, producing less sound change in the softer range and more change in the higher range. Unfortunately, you cannot get in there and adjust the response of the reface tone generator (but, then again, it’s not a MODX or MONTAGE)...

Hope that helps...

Posted : 21/11/2019 12:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us