Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha S90 ES Question for Cubase 8 Pro

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Does the S90 XS/S70 XS EDITOR VST setup detailed here for Cubase 8 Pro apply to the S90 ES as well?

If not, where is the best explanation of utilizing the S90ES best in Cubase 8 Pro?

With my Yamaha s90 ES I want to use multiple midi tracks within Cubase 8 Pro simultaneously playing multiple sounds i.e. piano, drums, pad sounds etc.

Thank you for your help.

Frank

Posted : 15/12/2015 5:59 am
Bad Mister

Frank wrote:

Does the S90 XS/S70 XS EDITOR VST setup detailed here for Cubase 8 Pro apply to the S90 ES as well?

The S90 ES predates by several years a time when the Editors could run as proper VST synths. In fact back in 2005 when the S90 ES came out, the S90 ES Editor for Voice mode was a separate Editor from the one handled Multi setups. The current crop of Editors have been integrated into one single program that does it all.

The S90 ES had a separate Voice Editor - that essentially handled all Voice editing. The Multi Part Editor handles Mix setups and is able import Voices from the Voice Editor. They required a host application called "Studio Manager" to run on your computer. The Studio Manager negotiates MIDI connectivity and manages files (storing and restoring your exact setup; both Midi port setup and your sound libraries). You ran this along side your favorite DAW... At one point it was even integrated into Cubase (but current product uses Steinberg's VST (Virtual Studio Technology) protocol to integrate the External Hardware into the computer environment.)

If not, where is the best explanation of utilizing the S90ES best in Cubase 8 Pro?

There can be no complete answer to such a question without you telling us something about what you want to accomplish. Cubase Pro 8 does not really care what synth you are working with... Setup will pretty much be the same. The S90 ES can communicate with your computer via USB for MIDI. You don't say, but if you also want to record audio you will need an audio interface and a quality set of monitors. Whether or not you can run Studio Manager and the Voice and Multi Part Editor along with Cubase Pro 8 will depend a lot on the computer and computer operating system you are running.

Please recognize that it is 10+ years since the S90 ES came out, and coming up on 7 since the S90 XS replaced it. I mention that only because it's not so much that the software will not run on today's computer OS's, it's that no one can guarantee that there will not be some features that will simply no longer work. They don't say it's "incompatible" always, some times it simply becomes "non-compliant" or if it does work, no one is actively supporting it after a certain amount of time.

That said, many folks are still successfully running the older software editors on the latest operating systems. Just go into it with your eyes open, and with some expectation that somethings may not be up to it... Simply because of the length of time and the number of changes that both PC and Mac platforms have gone through.

With my Yamaha s90 ES I want to use multiple midi tracks within Cubase 8 Pro simultaneously playing multiple sounds i.e. piano, drums, pad sounds etc.

That should be no problem. Worst case you will absolutely be able to this!!!

Whether or not the Editors can run on your yet unidentified computer is the only question. In a case where you couldn't use the Editors, you could still accomplish your goal. The Editors add a bit a elegance in managing data; but certainly you can operate with out them.

Posted : 15/12/2015 10:24 am
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply Bad Mister. I appreciate your support.

There can be no complete answer to such a question without you telling us something about what you want to accomplish.

I want to be able to use the ES the same way the XS is being used in this video:

You don't say, but if you also want to record audio you will need an audio interface and a quality set of monitors. Whether or not you can run Studio Manager and the Voice and Multi Part Editor along with Cubase Pro 8 will depend a lot on the computer and computer operating system you are running.

I am running Cubase Pro on a Windows 7 64 bit, i7 computer with two RME AES 32 Audio interfaces and two Aurora 16 A/D-D/A devices. I have 8 API and Vintech preamps. I am also using 8 hardware compressors, transient designers and reverbs as FX inserts in Cubase. So, I have a robust setup to integrate hardware and software.

Please recognize that it is 10+ years since the S90 ES came out, and coming up on 7 since the S90 XS replaced it. I mention that only because it's not so much that the software will not run on today's computer OS's, it's that no one can guarantee that there will not be some features that will simply no longer work. They don't say it's "incompatible" always, some times it simply becomes "non-compliant" or if it does work, no one is actively supporting it after a certain amount of time.

My main question is, what integration differences are there with Cubase 8Pro and the ES and the XS tutorial above? These two synths were released three years apart. I have used Cubase since 1996. I would hope that Yamaha considered ES users and the ES platform when introducing the XS and its integration with Cubase.

This goes back to my original question: Is there a tutorial for the ES for Cubase 8Pro integration like the one for the XS?

That should be no problem. Worst case you will absolutely be able to this!!!

Whether or not the Editors can run on your yet unidentified computer is the only question. In a case where you couldn't use the Editors, you could still accomplish your goal. The Editors add a bit a elegance in managing data; but certainly you can operate with out them.

I've provided my computer specs above. If you need more information, please let me know. It is near state of the art in terms of my audio interface, it's speed, my DAW software. I just need the right tutorial that specifies all the integration functionality of the ES with Cubase 8 Pro so that I can precisely follow each step and get the most out of my ES and its integration with Cubase 8 Pro..

Lastly, there is a list of USB storage devices/flash drives provided by Yamaha here. Instead of going through every model to see if I can buy one locally, are there specifications that will help me?. I have lots of flash drives that I've already bought, but none are on the list. I would like to understand if one of them will work before I stick it in the USB slot of my ES.

I bought the ES for it's renowned piano sound along with the other great sounds and the touch/feel of the keyboard. I never thought that in today's world with portable firmware/software/drivers that there could be problems being current integrating with another Yamaha product i.e. Cubase 8 Pro. I hope I didn't buy the wrong used Yamaha synth. If I did, that's on me.

Thanks again for your support Bad Mister.

Posted : 15/12/2015 3:53 pm
Bad Mister

I bought the ES for it's renowned piano sound along with the other great sounds and the touch/feel of the keyboard. I never thought that in today's world with portable firmware/software/drivers that there could be problems being current integrating with another Yamaha product i.e. Cubase 8 Pro. I hope I didn't buy the wrong used Yamaha synth. If I did, that's on me.

Well, think again. 🙂
You cannot wait ten years, buy a keyboard and think you are up-to-date and everything will fall in place. But you may have a lucky star!!! 🙂 Try to use a smart phone from 2005, try to run any software from 2005, heck play a game on your gaming console from 2005. Why would you think that everything would work?

As I mentioned most things concerning MIDI connection via USB will be fine... The problem MAY arise when you attempt to run software -like the Studio Manager, the S90ES Voice Editor, and the S90ES Multi Part Editor on your computer... Again, there may be no issue at all... Since you are still running Windows 7 - it reaches back six years, so you'll be fine. Without that information, I would be remiss in just blindly encouraging you... Say you were running Windows 10 or the latest Mac software, or an Atari (see why the computer you are using remains important - computer companies build in obsolescence as a part of their ride. Sooner or later your older software becomes incompatible. Just read carefully the download items. Go to the Official Yamaha Diwnload site:

http://download.yamaha.com

Search for S90 ES.
You'll need the Yamaha USB-Midi driver v3.1.4 for Windows 7
Studio Manager v2.3.1 for Windows 7
Voice Editor v2.2.2 for Windows 7
Multi Part Editor v2.2.2 for Windows 7

Pay attention to "32-bit" and "64-bit" versions, as those have to do with running smoothly on your particular computer hardware.

Sorry, I don't have the time to sit through that tutorial... You'll be able to successfully record and playback MIDI... Connect the audio outputs you your audio interface and record. Which you say is your goal. Cubase Pro 8 has its requirements, that only reach back so many operating systems (like any software). Fortunately, you have this site, if you get stuck we can help you through it.

Posted : 15/12/2015 6:38 pm
Topic starter

Thanks again for you reply Bad Mister

Go to the Official Yamaha Download site:

http://download.yamaha.com

Search for S90 ES.
You'll need the Yamaha USB-Midi driver v3.1.4 for Windows 7
Studio Manager v2.3.1 for Windows 7
Voice Editor v2.2.2 for Windows 7
Multi Part Editor v2.2.2 for Windows 7

Pay attention to "32-bit" and "64-bit" versions, as those have to do with running smoothly on your particular computer hardware.

Will do.

Sorry, I don't have the time to sit through that tutorial... You'll be able to successfully record and playback MIDI... Connect the audio outputs you your audio interface and record. Which you say is your goal. Cubase Pro 8 has its requirements, that only reach back so many operating systems (like any software). Fortunately, you have this site, if you get stuck we can help you through it.

Since you didn't watch the tutorial, I'll explain: The XS user was able to record and play back multiple Cubase Midi tracks (using XS Midi VST out which is explained in the XS tutorial.) with Multiple XS sounds being selected within the 16 part Editor. When he selected a Cubase midi Channel with different Midi outs (defined as 1,2,3 etc.) it selected the complimentary part of the XS in the Editor where he could select drums, bass, pad etc.

So, once I download everything you suggested, will I be able to do what I have described above? If so, where is the process explained like it was in the Yamaha tutorial for XS users here? Or, do I use the XS tutorial?

Thanks again for your support!

Posted : 16/12/2015 1:14 am
Bad Mister

Again, no, the S90 ES predates Yamaha developing VST Editors - back ten years ago this was before we had an opportunity to teach DAWs how to integrate external hardware into the world of software (they still viewed it as the enemy, go figure)... but if you search the internet you can find articles supporting use of the Studio Manager, the S90 ES Voice and Multi-Part Editors - as found here

Posted : 16/12/2015 8:42 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Again, no, the S90 ES predates Yamaha developing VST Editors - back ten years ago this was before we had an opportunity to teach DAWs how to integrate external hardware into the world of software (they still viewed it as the enemy, go figure)... but if you search the internet you can find articles supporting use of the Studio Manager, the S90 ES Voice and Multi-Part Editors - as found here

Thanks for your reply and link.

I'll try to get it working and report back.

Posted : 16/12/2015 3:06 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

I got the Voice Editor to work. When I click on a preset it changes it on my ES and I can tweak all the parameters in the software and hear the difference.

However, I could not get the Multi-Part Editor to work. No matter what ES voice I put in as a part on the Editor, the same sound came out of my ES. So, there's no communication going on like there is with the Voice Editor..

Any thoughts, suggestions?

FYI: The Voice Editor worked using the S90 port 1 that showed up as Midi In/Out Ports in the Studio Manager. I used those ports for the Midi in/out setup for both the Voice Editor and the Multi-Part Editor. Like I said the in/out ports worked for the Voice Editor, but not for the Mult-Part Editor.

Posted : 16/12/2015 7:52 pm
Bad Mister

FIrst, the Multi-Part Editor only works when you are in Multi mode (it does not communicate while you are in VOICE mode, thus the name).

Also you must set the communication Ports properly. Can you show a screenshot of your PORT setup?

Posted : 16/12/2015 10:15 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

FIrst, the Multi-Part Editor only works when you are in Multi mode (it does not communicate while you are in VOICE mode, thus the name).

Also you must set the communication Ports properly. Can you show a screenshot of your PORT setup?

Thanks for your continuing support Bad Mister.

Attached are my I/O ports available for my Studio Manager along with the Multi Part Editor Setting/Port Setup I am using.

Thanks for your guidance.

Attached files

Posted : 17/12/2015 7:33 pm
Bad Mister

Screenshot 1: You have devices selected for Studio Manager that are not handled by Studio Manager. You need to have "Yamaha S90 ES-1" selected as MIDI IN, and MIDI OUT. That is what you want Studio Manager to manage, please deselect all other ports. This will not fix your problem, necessarily but it's just wrong to everything marked... Particularly since the S90 ES is the only device compatible with the Studio Manager and Port 1 is the only S90 ES port you are using with the Multi-Part Editor.

Screenshot 2: looks correct.
We assume you have the S90 ES connected to your computer via USB.
That the S90 ES is set so MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Posted : 17/12/2015 9:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us