Notifications
Clear all

Using external keyboard to control song mode on Yamaha MO8

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi guys,

For a couple of years now I use the song mode on the MO8 to be able to control voices from from an external keyboard on different channels.

I’ve always used a Yamaha S30 to do this, but recently I bought a midi keyboard to use with the MO8 as well as mainstage.
I have different sliders on the midi keyboard assigned to different channels and zones on the midi keyboard as well.
The keyboard itself doesn’t seem to have the option to turn a specific zone on and off with the push of a button (I would have to go deep into the zones menu of the controller).
But in this setup I can only control the volume. That means that the polyphony of the MO8 is being affected still. Is there a way to assign a button on the controller to mute or turn off a channel in the MO8?
What I would want is to assign multiple faders to different channels on the MO and turn them off and on at will. Is this at all possible?

Thnx for your replies.

Posted : 19/02/2019 10:55 am
Bad Mister

Is there a way to assign a button on the controller to mute or turn off a channel in the MO8?

Don't know, you never tell us what controller! Turning a MO8 Part = Off would require a System exclusive message. In general, the receiving device (slave) will always we be ready to receive... you typically manage what is transmitted from the controller (master keyboard).

What I would want is to assign multiple faders to different channels on the MO and turn them off and on at will. Is this at all possible?

Again, isn't that question for the maker of the controller - although I don't see a Fader acting as an Off switch, typically they send a volume command, 0-127, which, as you say, still uses polyphony, only the volume is zero.

If your controller has a Zone On/Off function it would likely be a Switch, not a Fader.
Sorry, we cannot give you further help with this, I fully understand exactly what you are attempting to do... the Motif XF added a ZONE On/Off switch to its functions as a Master Keyboard... if your (unnamed) keyboard controller had a similar feature it would easily allow you to activate and/or deactivate transmitting to a particular channel. Not saying you need to get an XF... just mention it because this was added to the XF in response to customer requests for such a feature on a Master Keyboard. The XF had eight Zones so the Zone On/Off switches made it possible to trigger different combinations of sounds in the target devices without running them completely out of polyphony.

Posted : 20/02/2019 4:33 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us