Forum Update - 2nd ...

Notifications
Clear all

Forum Update - 2nd Try

23 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member

Still no fix for this forum being far more susceptible to spam than the many others I use, except one. Rolandclan is bad too. But the forums at musicplayer, pianoworld, gearspace, yamahamusicians, casiomusicforums, norduserforum, korgforums, and others I visit are all virtually spam-free. It can be done.

Also still no fix for sometimes ending up at the site's home page when I click a link/bookmark that was supposed to take me somewhere else.

And of course, there's still only a very limited search function.

I kinda get the feeling that this new update is akin to painting the shutters on a house whose foundation is cracked.

Posted : 02/03/2022 2:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The update doesn't change the core, no. So it's still the same. Emoji pictures (that I don't use) are fixed now.

There are some interesting new features like notification of title changes and other genuinely new features. Not groundbreaking or anything - but incrementally "more" of something.

The spam stuff has been happening for years and many "waves" before the last ones. Although the keyboards have FM - the message board has not been FM (No Static At All) -- Steely Dan. What tends to be more distracting than the spam itself is the non-spam reaction to it. I'd rather it not be there to begin with - but I don't see a 180 degree change in the forum overnight. Those that have to clean it up are likely yelling louder than "we" are about the situation.

Like so many other things - it's not so much the instrument but the player. And extending that to here -- the forum is a tool. Flawed in construction and imperfect. But that's not the meat. Charlie Parker could pick up a toy plastic sax and make it sound like anyone else's pro horn. And this forum has really dedicated users and Yamaha employees exchanging really relevant and useful information. The members are the soul of this forum - not the vehicle. I imagine the vehicle will be swapped out at some point. Until then, you'll have to settle for stellar support by dedicated and caring individuals.

Meanwhile I do think a civil discourse urging improvements is fair game. Carry on.

Posted : 02/03/2022 4:56 pm
Prominent Member

Updating my comments about Search... I had never realized, there are two completely different Search functionalities on the screen. The one just above the first post is pretty limited in its capability. But it turns out there's a second search, in the purple bar at the top, which is entirely different, and much better. Except its kind of useless at the moment, because the results are all broken links, the same way google's are. (Maybe that Search facility is a front end to a google search of the site?)

Posted : 03/03/2022 8:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mentioned earlier in the thread - the ability to edit replies has been lost. Another thread there was an inference that this was fixed:

Source: Blake @ Yamaha

The edit button should be working now.

I don't think that has been fixed. I'll edit this post and change this line if I can. At least, I couldn't edit any of my previous posts (meaning replies - not original message) in this forum. Even ones authored after the update.

Posted : 09/03/2022 10:28 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Not giving the forum a pass. I wish redirection was used. See:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/what-is-montage-connect#reply-108994

Just been through this so many times before I come to "expect" this as a consequence of poor link management. I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon.

Posted : 10/03/2022 5:35 am
Member Admin

I think its time to abandon the forum for good.

Posted : 19/03/2022 3:57 pm
Prominent Member

Another quirk... I was trying to include an attachment in a post, and it wasn't working. It said format has to be one of "gif,jpg,png,zip,rar" and that my file was in an unsupported format. In turns out those extensions are case-sensitive. iPad screen grabs are named in all uppercase, so the site wouldn't recognize it until I changed .PNG to .png - sometimes it's like the stone age around here!

Posted : 19/03/2022 8:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The extension citing goes way back. I knew there was at least one thread. I think there are more, but I found:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/are-those-fm-titled-preset-voice-from-the-fm-engine-in-yc61#reply-98670

I don't run into this myself because I don't use attachments - rather inline images (linked to image hosting).

Still, it's unfortunate that something so simple to design more correctly would be done so strictly.

Inline images do not care if the links end in .png or .PNG. It's a different animal altogether - but one informs what would be a better policy.

Posted : 19/03/2022 9:22 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us