Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Blake Angelos Yamaha: There are more updates coming...

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

V1.10 to V1.20
New features:
A new rotary speaker effect has been added.
New FM organ types have been added.
A new setting “FM Color Type” has been added to the “Drawbar Color” setting.
Three EQs have been added to the effect types.
A new setting “Touch Sensitivity” has been added to the Settings.
The locations in the menu of “EG Control” and “Filter Control” have been changed.
New Live Set Sounds have been added.
New Voices have been added.
Fixed problems
Fixed minor problems.
https://br.yamaha.com/pt/support/updates/yc61_yc73_yc88_os.html

Posted : 22/02/2022 12:55 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Interested in hearing the thoughts about the new rotary speaker effect. The previous Rtr "A" and "B" rotary speakers now have more descriptive names - so except for the names these do not change. The new rotary speaker is called "studio" with the following description:

Rotary speaker with three-dimensional effect and greater sense of motion.

Someone "likes" the new rotary speaker so much that the default for "Slot A" (Rtr A) is the new Studio rotary speaker. Rtr B is "Classic" and "Overdrive" takes a back seat.

It looks like Yamaha took the feedback to heart.

Posted : 22/02/2022 1:34 am
Prominent Member

Rotary was the issue with the most vocal complaints, so hopefully this will satisfy a lot of people.

I wonder if the additional EQ options may help the rotary situation as well, since one of the complaints on the existing rotary was about some odd resonant frequencies, which you might now be able to dial down. Either way, this also somewhat addresses a CP feature which (surprisingly?) still hasn't made its way to the YC, the ability to save different EQ settings with different Live Sets. (Maybe there was some inherent inability to implement that particular CP feature in the YC architecture.)

The velocity curve controls are a welcome carryover from what was added to the last CP update.

The new FM organ parameters are interesting, allowing for "nontraditional" organ tones, and especially the last one which appears to turn it into something of a basic programmable FM synth. I remember someone here was specifically hoping for this kind of enhancement.

There's lots of nice ideas on ideascale that would have been nice to see, but there's enough here to be significant.

Posted : 22/02/2022 2:40 am
 Jim
Eminent Member

Scott...the new "Studio" rotary has eliminated the artifacts that the "Classic" (the original I believe) rotary has and has a wider stereo spread which was an expressed concern. The Classic rotary artifacts are still there but, it seems to me, they are reduced un-EQ's so they might have tweaked the raw version a little. The good thing is that with the new EQ options you can tamp them down even more if they bother you. The E2 option, which is a narrow band para, seems particularly good for this task as you can notch most of the artifacts out without ruining the underlying tone. I will be really curious to see how people feel about the new Studio rotary. I wish I was near my Nord E4 so I could compare, but I can at least load up the B3x on the computer tomorrow and see how it sounds compared to that.

The new FM organs are interesting. Grasping the FM architecture is a little complicated and I'll need to play around with it more, but I think Yamaha was very clever in their design of it. It gives the YC a feature the Nord Electro clearly doesn't have. On a slight negative note, I still don't think the F3 organ has the footages correct...they appear to be the same as before and are not as shown in the updated supplemental manual.

Very glad the touch features were carried over from the CP. It will really help simplify switching between piano and synth sounds during and between songs and those who are fussier about piano "feel" will be able to dial things in the way they want. All-in-all a very interesting update...one that really separates it more from the CP series. Looking forward to listening to the Tech Talk tomorrow to see what I missed in my initial go-through.

Posted : 22/02/2022 3:44 am
 matt

I am wonder if a new firmware will be released?

Thanks to John Melas editor, If we could have an unleashed version of AWM synthesis with at least ADSR, deeper filter control, etc... or, a basic FM synth (we are closer with the 1.2 version)...

And why not, a few more slots for livesets 😉

Posted : 22/06/2022 10:04 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us