Clear all

Church Organ???

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!

I bought a YC73 last week.

It's even more powerful than expected!!!!!

Is there a way to make a organ sound like a church/cathedral organ?

Thanks!!!

Posted : 23/10/2023 9:08 am
 Paul

Hi --

Since no one has responded, I'll give it a try. I don't own or play a Stage YC mainly because Yamaha neglected to include pipe organ voices on its "organ-focused" keyboard. Oh, well...

I noticed a few Live Sets and voices that might be starting points: Church (LS), FM Organ (LS), DX E.Organ (V), DX7 E.Organ (LS), Churchy FM (LS).

You might be able to get a fuller sound by layering the DX E.Organ voice with a clean B-3. When I go for a churchy B-3 sound, I usually stick with even bars (16', 8', 4', 2') and sometimes toss in a little 1' for brightness. A slow rotary (no drive) adds a little motion as if the pipes are mixing in space. Alternatively, add a little slow phaser.

Most hymn playing needs just a few organ Principal ranks: 16+8+4. You could add a few overtones for spice.

If playing live, I'd take the reverb way back, especially if you'll be playing in a large space like an actual church. 🙂 If you're recording or need the create the space electronically, then go big reverb and/or (cross) delay.

Hope these suggestions help and wish I had a YC in front of me -- pj

Posted : 25/10/2023 4:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

On the alternative side, you could MIDI in something that handles this sound. For example:

https://youtu.be/Jq0s7dbslo8?si=ezwnfseK1DzuSxtn

Then find an appropriate iOS based "sound module" to cover the desired sound.

Not as good as integrated, but a possible way out. A PC/Laptop/hybrid device could also be used if iOS isn't how you roll.

If iOS is your thing:
https://crudebyte.com/icathedral-organ/

... And there are probably lots of choices.

Posted : 25/10/2023 7:07 pm
david
Reputable Member

The hope was that one day with an OS update they would add more obvious Organs that are missing. Kind of obvious for an organ machine. And hopefully more FM options in the Organ sections with a way to shape the sound like ASDR because you can't use the FM 4 thru 6 as a synth if it continuously sustains like an organ. BTW when is the next update?

Posted : 30/10/2023 2:43 am

The hope was that one day with an OS update they would add more obvious Organs that are missing. Kind of obvious for an organ machine. And hopefully more FM options in the Organ sections with a way to shape the sound like ASDR because you can't use the FM 4 thru 6 as a synth if it continuously sustains like an organ. BTW when is the next update?
doodle jump

Posted : 30/10/2023 7:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us