Clear all

I'm liking my YC more than I did before

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well the YC61 was a great compact gadget but keys were too toyish. The new OS has helped greatly.

The feel of my YC73 is my favorite almost as good as my CP1. The YC73 really feels solid and addictive.

The new FM organ attacks can be combined to make the "A"/"B" combo feel deeper and thicker and still playable without having an organ if you don't want one.

I typically turn on the YC73 before all my other boards for a quick fix because it's simple but the keys are so addictive.

Those tiny selector buttons probably won't last very long however.

I can dive deeper on my SKpro but the keys suck and make noise. That's a fine board but the keys aren't too good.

Not sure if Hammond knows how to make a good keybed but feel is pretty important. They are new so perhaps they will get better.

Now I just MIDI it to the YC73 and play it that way stacked. Makes it easy to compare sound to sound with the SKpro audio running thru.

Posted : 18/08/2022 2:25 am
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=117933]Not sure if Hammond knows how to make a good keybed but feel is pretty important. [/quotePost]
They use their own key designs on some higher end models, but on the more moderately priced stuff, they use actions from Fatar (who also supply the waterfall organ actions for Nord, Roland, Crumar, and others).

Posted : 18/08/2022 4:05 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I did compare the instrument voices one on one. SKpro has more vocal types, bell types, more organ types and percussive, strings and oh my lord a great pedal steel guitar I can't stop playing. YC is likely better with FM and/or on par in other areas.

What's fantastic on SK is that you can build a single voice comprised of 4 internal vocies. You can mix a solo violin, with strings, harp and a horn and make that one voice in your combo set. I can create that in seconds and save it and use it over and over again as a standard voice.

Since YC can't do this they should at least add some improtant new voices and obvious ones that are lacking. YC is designed for real time effects control so it beats SK in that respect. Having them paired or stacked together ain't a bad deal. They are unique enough to go together.

Posted : 19/08/2022 12:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

and oh my lord a great pedal steel guitar I can't stop playing

This is a pet peeve of mine with Yamaha. Their pedal steel guitar has always been well below the quality of other electric string instruments. Yamaha generally has success with guitar/amp modeling but the pedal steel (IMO) falls short. The other "country" sample that has been bad is the fiddle. I've spent a reasonable amount of time trying to "fiddle" with the settings to shape the sound. However, I never realized anything I thought was acceptable. I think for pedal steel I use an electric guitar that I've modified vs. using the pedal steel.

I need to check out the SK and see what they're doing with that sound.

Posted : 19/08/2022 12:55 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes that would be fantastic for YC to get a pedal steel upgrade if Yamaha even has a good one. Historically they have not. My friend plays Yamaha gear and also loves pedal steel and he went nuts when I told him the SKpro had a good one. I really like it in the mid and low range but I'm not sure the upper range was as convincing. Not that I play real pedal steel but it sounds really good to me and also when bending/sliding the notes.

Posted : 21/08/2022 9:13 pm
Member Admin

When it comes to Yamaha, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Their pedal steel guitar has, from the beginning, been of a quality that is significantly lower than that of other electric string instruments. In general, Yamaha is successful with guitar and amp modeling, but in my opinion, they fall short with the pedal steel. The fiddle is the other "country" instrument that has been lacking in quality. I've spent a reasonable amount of time trying to "fiddle" with the settings to mario games shape the sound. Nevertheless, I was never made aware of anything that I saw as being appropriate. To simulate the sound of the pedal steel, I guess I use an electric guitar that has been modified by me rather than utilizing the pedal steel itself.

Posted : 30/08/2022 4:26 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us