Notifications
Clear all

Montage and YC61

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Topic starter

How do I get the YC61 VCM Organ Engine sounds on my Montage or do some of the performances already exist on the Montage? If so, which Montage performances emulate the YC61?

Posted : 16/01/2020 3:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The sound of a nail gun run through a great rotating speaker sounds like a great organ - so, for me, the more interesting cross-pollination would be if the Montage rotating speaker emulations can have the same configuration options and results as the YC61.

Currently perhaps "All 9 Bars!" is the most full-fledged, hands-on, configurable tone-wheel organ. The approach is a little different. YC61 strove more to make the control surface line up more with the organ being emulated. Where the Montage started with controls without necessarily having an organ in mind then after-the-fact the controls were selected as a best fit. And not everything will react as close to the real thing as the YC61. However - on the Montage you have opportunity to adjust your percussion decay times by programming or get even more levels of percussion loud/softness. There's no 9th slider - but you can knob that 9th drawbar. And, if you want, you could have percussion + 9th drawbar on Montage.

There are a lot more organs under the hood of Montage. I'm not sure how they match up with H1, H2, H3 in YC61. One could probably run through the presets and bucket ones more in the H1 range vs H3 range.

Posted : 16/01/2020 3:49 pm
 Gary
Topic starter

Thank-you, Jason, for your thorough reply and impressive expertise!

Could you please, though, give me a little more explanation to your “percussion + 9th drawbar” comment? Not sure how to set that so an example would be great.

My question was prompted by the “yamahasynths-official” video. It has a strong tone wheel sound (I believe it is similar to “Part 2” on “All 9 Bars!” and perhaps the “Dist 1” SW setting, but not sure yet. I also just tried Tone, Decay,
knob 6 and also “Pitch EG” Decay 1 and 2 Time adjustments but didn’t get much change. An example from you would really help.

I also particularly like the percussive sound in that video.
It would be very helpful if you could provide some sample Montage settings to emulate the percussion.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted : 16/01/2020 6:09 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us