Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Splits & layers in the new YC61

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

As per the videos that are out so far I have gathered the following: there are basically 3 sound sections (sort of speak). Organ, keys1 and keys2. So my questions are:
1. Does that mean that at any given point we can layer up to three sounds? like organ, piano and strings for example? I assume that keys1 & keys2 are identical and can be split in two zones of the keyboard or layered together.
2. If we layer up to 3 sounds would that all be consumed from the same 128 polyphony of the YC61? In the MODX for example some organ sounds are using up to 8 elements per part and that can cause polyphony dropping issues when layered with other parts that uses multiple elements as well. The YC61 is clearly going to be a direct rival to the Nord electro 6D, and while the electro's organ engine seems inferior now to the YC61, it does have unlimited polyphony, meaning that when layering the organ with piano you have the whole 120 polyphony for your piano and you don't need to worry about notes dropping off from your organ.

Posted : 19/01/2020 9:34 am
Bad Mister

1. Does that mean that at any given point we can layer up to three sounds? like organ, piano and strings for example? I assume that keys1 & keys2 are identical and can be split in two zones of the keyboard or layered together.

Yes, you can layer three sounds, one from each of the three sections. You can Split the Keyboard into Upper and Lower; a Part can be programmed to either Upper, Lower, or both.

2. If we layer up to 3 sounds would that all be consumed from the same 128 polyphony of the YC61?

No. The YC is based on three technologies VCM (Virtual Circuitry Modeling) creates the H1, H2, and H3 Tone Wheel Organs, the transistor organs (F1, F2 and F3) are created by FM, and the other sounds are AWM2 or FM. The VCM + AWM2 sounds draw from the 128 note polyphonic engine, while the FM engine is separately, 128 notes of polyphony.

There is no such thing as “unlimited polyphony”...

The organ sounds do not use polyphony as you would in a MONTAGE/MODX synth, (the YC organs are not samples, and do not use Elements) - besides when organs are played in a traditional way, you will not run out of polyphony.

Posted : 19/01/2020 10:52 pm
 Paul

Hello,

Does the 'YC61' have a dedicated Organ engine similar to the Nord 'Electro 6D' B3-BASS, please? The latter is more powerful and bassier in the low-end, making it's timbre (and independent controllability) perfect for playing left-hand-organ-bass (say, when the instrumentation is: Keyboard, Guitar and Drums).

I feel that this is a truly excellent feature on the Nord 'Electro 6D' and would only assume that Yamaha has implemented a similar, or exact, replicate of this facility.

Thanks,

Paul

Posted : 11/04/2020 11:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us