Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Need to Better Understand How To Store Live Sets.

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

1) I see a lot of videos about creating live sets, sounds, enhancing sound effects, swapping A & B organ and keyboard sounds, but nothing on how to save your live sets and what and what cannot be saved in a single location (the manual is kind of useless also in this area). Let's say I want to have one organ sound in organ A and create another sound in Organ B so I can just flip the switch when I need to in the middle of a song and get the right organ sound.. Can I save both of those sounds by pushing save, scrolling to the location I want, and then entering by pushing down on the scroll button. If this is the right way, why does sound I created in Organ B take but the one in Organ A default to something other than what I input there? Can you save 2 organ sounds in 1 location? (This was using the latest YC update.)

2) I pulled up a standard flute in the keys section. I saved it to a location using the sequence above (only for keys A). Stored it in location 15.1 and there it is. Cool! However, the flute makes no sound on any of the keys played. It displays in the LCD screen but no sound. I went through the same sequence and stored it in Location 15.2 It worked but 15.1 is still mute.

3) Can I save a keyboard sound in a location and a specific organ sound in the same location? What are the rules for saving a live set? What can be stored and what cannot? Since live sets are basically the reason for a "Stage Keyboard" it would be nice to have an in depth video on how to do that rather than figuring it out on your own. Please Help!!!

Posted : 07/03/2022 11:55 pm
david
Reputable Member

I haven't fooled much with what it does exactly in a long while. There is only one organ section but you can have the "upper" and "lower" as different versions of one type of organ but not (2) different organs in the same set. But with seamless sound switching you can have back to back live sets that are a copy of one another but with a second alternate organ and switch between them without losing the sound.

Posted : 08/03/2022 5:12 am
david
Reputable Member

Make sure the toggle switch is set to default "ON" for that flute in 15.1.

Posted : 08/03/2022 5:15 am
Topic starter

Thanks David. I was hoping that if I had a sound in Organ A and another in Organ B, if I stored one or the other in a location that when I punched in that location, both sounds would be available by flipping the A and B switch. I could have swore I could do this with version 1.1, but now I can't. Example: Evil ways by Santana. You go from a full organ sound to a perk organ sound for the solo and then back to the full sound. So I put full organ in A and Perk in B and save it in a location say 16.1 My hope was to be able to pull up 16.1 and be able to flip the A?B organ switch to pull up the sounds. Now I can certainly put one sound in 16.1 and the other in 16.2 and it's a push of a button vs. a flip of a switch. Just wish there was a more detailed description or a Tech Talk about the rules of storage. They have one for storing a live set to a USB stick. Why not to the board itself?

Posted : 08/03/2022 6:41 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

Joseph, your reference to an A and B organ is a little confusing. I going to hazard a guess that you are referring to U and L aka Upper and Lower which equates to the two manuals on a real Hammond B3 organ. You can set different drawbar, chorus/vibrato and percussion configurations in Upper and Lower. For a song like Evil Ways, you can switch back and forth between the Upper and Lower within the same Live Set if you set the Organ Split button so that neither LED is lit. You then just need to toggle the Lower/Upper button to go back and forth between the different configurations, as you call it, the perc organ and the full organ. Is that a clear enough explanation? Counterpoint Jim

Posted : 08/03/2022 8:37 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

Hmmm... You used to be able to edit your posts here on this forum...looks like that's gone with the new format. Anyway, some corrections to my previous post...and some YC oddities to point out. The only thing you can change between U and L is the Drawbar configuration. While the Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion light go off when you switch to Lower (L) only, they are still on if they are on in Upper (U). In a real B3 they are inseparable like that but it's strange that the C/V and Perc light go off when in Lower mode on the YC. The second thing is if you are holding a note or chord and switch from Upper to Lower, it won't change until you play the next note or chord. I think this is different from my Nord E4 but I'm not near it to check it out....so be aware of those limitations if you choose to use this method to switch from one organ setting to another. Jim - aka Counterpoint

Posted : 08/03/2022 8:53 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

Well really wish I could edit as I've made a mess out of my analysis here. You can control C/V separately on both U and L but you can only apply perc to U...I think that's the way a real B3 works too. Sorry for all the misinformation. Still, the important thing is you can set up two organ "voices" in one Live Set and toggle between them with the Lower/Upper button. I should have left it at that.

Posted : 09/03/2022 2:19 am
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=114884] Can I save a keyboard sound in a location and a specific organ sound in the same location? What are the rules for saving a live set? What can be stored and what cannot?[/quotePost]
A Live Set basically includes all the settings for an organ sound, a Keys A sound, and a Keys B sound, with all their effects... PLUS the controls that are in the same black section as the Live Set selectors themselves (i.e split point, transpose, and everything under the Settings button). Or another way to look at it is that it saves all the current front panel controls, except Master Volume, Master EQ, and the Global stuff to the right of the Live Set section, in its own gray section (Panel Lock, Tune, Touch, and Menu).

Posted : 09/03/2022 5:24 am
david
Reputable Member

Yes but you can not set up organ "F1" and organ "F6" and toggle between them unless you turn the dial passing "F2", "F3", "F4" and "F5". You can only select (1) organ say "F1" and then save (2) versions of that "F1" which is (2) different draw bar settings and then toggle between those. Or hook your midi cable "in" to the midi "out" and control both at the same time once you set the midi control correctly. I would outset the pitch of one to the other to get a crazy double thickness. Evil genius stuff.

Posted : 09/03/2022 5:52 am
Topic starter

Lots of good advice here. Thanks guys. First of all let me apologize for the confusing terminology. Yes for the organ I meant upper and lower and Keys A and B. (It was late at night when I posted). Definitely understand that you can't save 2 different organ types like H1 and F3 in upper and lower in a live set. What's bothering me now is that sometimes when I save an upper and lower sound it works, and sometimes it does not. Just like the flute sound. What will happen is that I'll configure an H1 in lower, another H1 using different settings in Upper, and when I save it I get the settings of the lower but the upper defaults to an H1 with the first 3 drawbars all lit.

Again same sequence, set my organ upper, then switch it to lower, adjust the drawbars and settings, then press SAVE, scroll to the live set location, and press the encoder dial AKA the Enter button. I'm pretty sure I'm doing this right.

Yesterday I was able to pull up a Jazz Flute in Key A save it in 16.1 and then configure an organ, and save it also in 16.1. This allowed me to bring up that live set, turn off the organ when playing the flute and then vice versa when the organ part came in (Playing "Can't You See" by the Marshall Tucker Band). That's the kind of stuff I hope to be able to do.

Thinking out loud, if you have something in let's say Location 15.1 and you configure something else and decide you want IT in location 15.1, when you save, it overwrites the old configuration correct?

Posted : 09/03/2022 5:56 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us