Notifications
Clear all

Some YC voices quit early

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Interested to see if any YC users here can reproduce this issue.

Choose an acoustic piano voice, strike a single note and hold it (either with the key or the pedal), and listen to the full decay of the sound - do you find the voice gets chopped off after 8 or 9 seconds, rather than decaying all the way to zero?

I'd also be interested to see if there's anyone out there still running v1.2 or earlier, who might be able to see if the same issue occurred in earlier firmware.

It also happens with Rd/Wr/Clavi, FM piano, Guitar/Sitar/Basses/Vibes/Glock, or any voice that should gradually decay to zero while being held (as opposed to pad/lead, brass, organ, etc, which will sustain as long as you hold them)

The MODX doesn't do this - its notes continue to decay beyond the threshold of hearing, so you don't hear them stop.

Posted : 08/05/2023 12:40 am
david
Reputable Member

I tried a few of those and mine sustain until they fade away or what sounds like a natural length. I had to turn it up all the way to hear it but I didn't hear them cut off. A guitar shouldn't sustain very long unless It's electric. I have the latest OS installed. Not sure I would ever hold a note that long anyway because as it fades it gets extremely faint so no one would know anyway. What I don't like are the F4, 5 and 6 FM voices sustaining indefinitely. That makes them unusable for layering where you don't want it to behave like an organ. I want them to behave like a percussive or short tone or accent to another A/B voice but not overpower those voices by sustaining after those have faded away. The purpose for adding the F4,5,6 was to behave more like an FM part of a composite voice not to be another organ.

Posted : 08/05/2023 1:27 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us