Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

YC61 Keybed finally revealed - What a disappointment, keys with plastic hinges, like toys.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

YC61 Keybed finally revealed - What a disappointment, keys with plastic hinges, like toys 🙁

https://youtu.be/oO6rWrZSkLI

Attached files

Posted : 14/09/2023 12:30 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Looks a lot like other Yamaha keyboards that aren't toys and have lasted through almost 2 decades of regular use (I'm thinking of my MO6 circa 2006.

When you play a Yamaha professional keyboard (stage or otherwise) - there's a big difference between actual toy pianos and Yamaha's keybeds in function and feel. There are more consumer grade (approaching "toy") from Yamaha that are actually miles ahead of other manufacturers' similarly classed keyboards. I have a DGX I regularly use since it's just always plugged in while my gigging Montage ends up in the case (and not re-setup in the studio) from shows.

I wouldn't dismiss the construction entirely on materials. Personally (anecdotally), I have seen a lot more failures of the graded hammer keybeds used in the 88 key MO line (MOX8, MOXF8). Not sure if there was a redesign that improved things in the MODX8 (and haven't seen any failures of this yet although I don't have a lot of exposure to the keyboard) - but I can say I like MODX8's feel better than MOXF8.

Posted : 14/09/2023 3:01 pm
 Paul

Thanks for posting the link to the video.

My first thought was "Wow, look at the size of those panel boards!" All those user interface gizmos in the Stage CP/YC come at a cost in both manufacturing and post-production QA.

I'm not too shocked at the key design. So-called hammer action keys have more complicated mechanics and design. As long as an organ key has a good feeling resistance and shape -- and holds up in the long run -- c'est la vie. 🙂

-- pj

Posted : 14/09/2023 5:04 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us