Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

YC88 as master keyboard. Doubts...

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi everybody! I´m the proud owner of a YC88. I´m working on a live set using it´s own sounds in combination with Mainstage, but I have a question: in one of my livesets I play a bass sound from Trilian (Zone 1 active) and an organ sound from YC. The problem comes when I try to add a new zone in the highest octave for switching samples and sound effects, because the organ ends in the last note of the keyboard, and there is only a split point if I´m right, which I´ve already used to split bass and organ. A possible solution would be to set local control to off and add another zone in Mainstage midied out to the organ, but I think there must be an easier alternative. Any way to set the highest key of the organ?
Thanks in advance! Sorry for my english.... Best regards from Spain,

Josué

Posted : 26/08/2021 8:07 pm
Bad Mister

Not really sure what the question is here… if your asking about getting more than two sounds from the YC in a split… no.
Split is defined by two regions Upper and Lower.

If you are talking about using the Master Keyboard function… you can create 4 Zones…

Master Keyboard
This function is for using the YC as a master keyboard. It allows the keyboard to be split into as many as four different zones, each of which can control separate sounds of an external tone generator. For example, you can make a Live Set Sound combining Voices from this instrument and the connected external tone generators, or a Live Set Sound composed with Voices of external tone generators only.

Posted : 27/08/2021 5:31 pm
Prominent Member

I think he wants to split the keyboard 3 ways, using one internal sound (organ) and two external sounds, creating three key regions where there's an external sound on bottom, the internal organ in the middle, and an external sound on top. Assigning the external sounds is easy with the zone function. The problem is limiting the one internal sound to only a specific range of keys, having no internal sound at all assigned below some specified key toward the bottom, but also having no internal sound at all assigned above some specified key toward the top. And the problem is, even though we're only talking about one internal sound, we need two split points to do it... one split point to create a region of silent keys below the desired organ range, and another split point to create a region of silent keys above the desired organ range.

I think this is a solution: Since you're using Mainstage anyway, maybe it would work if you put the YC in Local Off mode, and configured the entire setup in Mainstage, where it would play one of your soft synths from the bottom keys, another from the top keys, while echoing the desired middle range of keys back to the YC to trigger its internal organ sound only within that key range. Other apps that could probably do this would be Camelot Pro and Gig Performer.

Posted : 27/08/2021 6:37 pm
Topic starter

I think he wants to split the keyboard 3 ways, using one internal sound (organ) and two external sounds, creating three key regions where there's an external sound on bottom, the internal organ in the middle, and an external sound on top. Assigning the external sounds is easy with the zone function. The problem is limiting the one internal sound to only a specific range of keys, having no internal sound at all assigned below some specified key toward the bottom, but also having no internal sound at all assigned above some specified key toward the top. And the problem is, even though we're only talking about one internal sound, we need two split points to do it... one split point to create a region of silent keys below the desired organ range, and another split point to create a region of silent keys above the desired organ range.

I think this is a solution: Since you're using Mainstage anyway, maybe it would work if you put the YC in Local Off mode, and configured the entire setup in Mainstage, where it would play one of your soft synths from the bottom keys, another from the top keys, while echoing the desired middle range of keys back to the YC to trigger its internal organ sound only within that key range. Other apps that could probably do this would be Camelot Pro and Gig Performer.

Thank you very much. As I wrote, doing that was the most obvious solution, but I was trying to avoid set local to off, hoping that you masters known a hidden trick! 🙂
Thanks again.
Best regards,
Josué

Posted : 27/08/2021 9:14 pm
Prominent Member

Thank you very much. As I wrote, doing that was the most obvious solution, but I was trying to avoid set local to off, hoping that you masters known a hidden trick! 🙂

Ah yes, you noted that solution in your initial post. By the time I wrote the reply, I'd forgotten that. 😉

Posted : 27/08/2021 11:28 pm
Topic starter

Ah yes, you noted that solution in your initial post. By the time I wrote the reply, I'd forgotten that. 😉

Maybe a second split point in a new update, Yamaha?
Who knows...

Posted : 28/08/2021 7:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us