Clear all

Yet another CP series OS update while YC remains dead

54 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

It's 2021 and still Yamaha can't handle an OS update on the YC61.

Posted : 02/01/2021 12:50 am

Maybe they'll release something at 'Virtual' NAMM 2021 in a couple of weeks time? ...
...Here's hoping ! πŸ™‚

Posted : 02/01/2021 1:32 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

NAMM "Believe In Music" is scheduled for Jan 18-22, 2021. This is generally a target for some form of firmware announce.

I wonder if the "delay" in driver updates for Big Sur compatibility is an attempt to also stage MIDI 2.0. Apple has added MIDI-CI from 2.0 within Big Sur so this is potentially an inflection point for musical devices. Roland has already released hardware to ready for such an update. Yamaha may be scrambling to get this out the door. All speculation, however. There may be other irons in the fire. The general community feedback seems to be luke warm on MIDI 2.0 although I believe as devices become more complex it would be nice for the underlying communication to help facilitate and remove some of the technical barriers placed as burden on the end user to make everything talk to each other.

It would seem that a simple port for Big Sur wouldn't take as long as it is - so I wonder what surprise we may be in store for on the driver front. That has very little to do with YC61 firmware except if they "go big" with a driver change that would require the correct hooks to be present in the keyboard(s).

Posted : 02/01/2021 1:56 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

We will all receive a virtual OS update. "Announcement"? Yes Yamaha will probably announce that by the end of 2021 we should have a literal update.

Posted : 05/01/2021 5:25 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yamaha just announced that the new OS update will be released on April 1st.

But limited to the fools who will believe it.

Posted : 05/01/2021 8:47 pm
 Dov

David,

I would like to know how you know that Yamaha announced an OS update to be released in April.

As a thrilled YC61 and CP4 owner (except for the rotary sim, which is decidedly problematic) I would very much like to see a new YC-OS with a quality Leslie effect. Given the enormous resources that went into creating the CP series and so many other Yamaha keyboard and synthesizer products, I am hopeful that Yamaha can pull this off.

Please let us all know how you’ve been informed of this. I have searched many times since you posted this juicy tidbit, to no avail. I would be happy to hear that there is some factual basis for this claim.

Thanks,
Dov

Posted : 10/01/2021 12:19 pm

Dov -

i think you'll find that David is joking - and is referring to April 1st as a reference to April Fool's Day.

Like many of us, he is getting a little frustrated at Yamaha's apparent lack of interest in a YC61 update.

Personally I'm hoping they will offer one around the time of 'Virtual Namm' in a couple of weeks.

You join a long list of folk - me included - who are not happy with the current implementation of the much heralded 'new' rotary sim that comes with the YC61.

Fingers crossed!.... πŸ™‚

Posted : 10/01/2021 2:39 pm
 Dov

That’s what I expected (Virtual NAMM). I hope we won’t be disappointed.

Posted : 10/01/2021 4:11 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Adding to my jest was the phrase "Yamaha just announced". Yamaha never announces anything unless it's available. So it's like all Yamaha customers essentially live in a cave warming by the fire, gnawing on bones, grunting and pointing for what we want our (domestic partners??? Wife for me personally) to bring us while we stare into the abyss waiting for this OS release. Their age old philosophy and new slogan is "You'll get it when you get it and you'll like it no matter what!". I keep telling them to change their ways and serve the customers with gratitude and humility and keep us all in the light. Defectors are everywhere, me included. I still think that Ideascale is smoke and mirrors and absolutely no one at Yamaha reads it or cares. It's a path to appeasement while we wait in our caves.

Posted : 14/01/2021 3:26 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us