Notifications
Clear all

Improvements I'd like to see in the CP73/CP88

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

These are seven ideas I've posted at Ideascale. if you'd like to see any of these things as well, please upvote the idea over there.

-----

1. Direct Live Set bank navigation

I'd like an alternate way to directly navigate to Live Set banks instead of only being able to scroll through them with the plus/minus buttons or wheel. For example, there could be a shortcut where some other button (like Transpose)--which currently disables the 8 Live Set selection buttons entirely--instead allows you to use those 8 Live Set buttons to directly navigate to any of the first 8 banks. (Ideally, you could even use another button to get to banks 9-16.) Then we could get from a sound in Bank 1 to a sound in Bank 8 without having to hit the plus key 7 times (or do a long wheel scroll). Besides being quicker, this also gives you the benefit of having an "absolute" button combination to get to a particular sound every time, no matter what sound you're on, as opposed to the current method where the buttons you have to hit to get to a sound are relative, i.e. vary depending on the location of your current sound. This would let you navigate to patches even if you could not easily read the display, which could be an issue for outdoor gigs, or if it's the bottom board of a stack where the board above may be impeding easy visual access to the screen, or if the player is visually impaired.

2. MIDI zone volume controls

In the 4-zone Master Keyboard function, there's no way to adjust the volumes of the zones on the fly. I'd like to see a re-purposing of a button to alter the operation of other controls (since we obviously have to work within the controls that already exist). So, for example, you could use something like the Transpose button, where while that button has been invoked, the first four endless rotaries along the bottom (Piano Volume, Piano Tone, EP Volume, EP Tone) would function instead as volume controls for the 4 zones. Or instead of those knobs, another approach could be to use the square section of 4 endless rotaries in the EP Effects section (Depth, Rate, Depth, Speed).

3. Seamless transistions between sections

I'd like to see the seamless sound switching philosophy extended to switching sections off with the silver toggle switches. For example, within a single Live Set, if you want to switch from your Piano category sound to your Sub category sound, while you can turn on the Sub section in anticipation of what you're about to play there, your Piano sound will unfortunately cut off as soon as you turn that section off, instead of letting any existing held/decaying notes continue to fade naturally.(Nicely, this does work well when changing a sound within a section, e.g. you can be playing Rhodes, hold a chord, turn the knob to Wurli, and your Rhodes sound will not cut off. Unfortunately, cutting the Rhodes off with the switch does not do the same thing.)

4. Sound requests for the next update

I think there are just a few really common gigging sounds still missing... I'd like to see trumpet, sax, violin/fiddle, and banjo. (Those last two come up a lot if you play any country.) Other than that, the purist in me says that a top tier stage piano (and somthing competing to some extent with somewhat similar boards from Nord, Korg, Crumar and Viscount) should have all 4 clav pickup positions (even better if you can support using the mod lever as a mute bar, and EQ variations). Release samples on the clav sounds would be nice, too.

5. Visible Voice selection in inactive sections

With the "Display LIghts" setting set to On, you can nicely select a sound within an inactive section... however, the Voice navigation enhancement of update 1.4 was not implemented in this mode. For the same reason that that enhancement was useful in the first place, it would be good if a "press and hold or double-click the Voice select switch" within an inactive session still brought up the Voice list, to make it easy to call up the sound you next want that section to have. (For those who have run into this problem, the mean time, there is a workaround for silently changing the sound in an inactive session while being able to see the names of the Voices... with the Section inactive, turn the volume down, then activate the sound to enable visible patch navigation, then bring the volume of the sound back up when you need it. It's a bit awakard, and inconsistent with the rest of the board's operation, and a little irritating in that it should not be necessary... but at least there's a way to do it.)

6. Have Transpose apply to MIDI Out

As the manual says about the transpose function, "NOTE: This setting does not affect the MIDI output data." But there is very little need to be able to transpose the internal sound without transposing the external sound, and since you typically don't want your internal and external sounds playing in different keys, this basically makes the Transpose function inoperable for any Live Set that has Master Keyboard zones enabled. I hope you may be able to find a way to also alter the MIDI being sent out so that it is similarly transposed to match the pitch of the internal sounds when transposed.

7. Use the + and - buttons for quicker parameter setting

Incrementing/decrementing something with the encoder to the left of the screen can be a little irritating when there are perfectly good plus and minus buttons directly below that do absolutely nothing when on screens that could really benefit from quick plus-and-minus controls, like Transpose. Touch would benefit, too, along with various menu settings. Wheels are good for navigating through large lists, but buttons are quicker and more comfortable to use compared to scrolling a wheel just a little at a time.

Posted : 20/04/2021 9:40 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

It looks like this post has been viewed over 50 times, but there have been few ideascale upvotes.

I'm wondering, are people not interested in these particular enhancements? Do you think they are unneeded, that there are sufficient workarounds, or are just not applicable to how you'd use the board?

If it's just the added step of going to ideascale that's stopping you, here's a link to make it easier... https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/ideas/recent/campaign-filter/byids/campaigns/23361/stage/unspecified

BTW, I added on more... on the CP73, I'd like an additional velocity curve (touch) setting that is softer than Soft. I find it harder than I'd like to reach the higher velocities, e.g. to make an EP "bark."

Posted : 22/04/2021 2:55 pm

1. New Needed Sounds: I agree on the Clav sounds - it really should have all 4 positions and the release sound as well as a Pianet. Also - I would like an accurate Dyno-my-piano sound (I can approximate it a bit with what is there).

2. Transpose indicator on the screen - I think this is a universal request.

3. Wurli with a little more bite.....

4. Ability to route the 1/4 external inputs to USB audio - if that can be done in software (it may of course be hardwired that way).

Posted : 25/04/2021 7:07 pm
Bad Mister

Ability to route the 1/4 external inputs to USB audio - if that can be done in software (it may of course be hardwired that way).

It is (hardwired that way)... this would require an Analog-to-Digital converter and would move the instrument into the next price point. (It is a Stage Keyboard).

Posted : 25/04/2021 8:14 pm

No problem on the wiring - I have things in a studio setup and was messing with seeing if I could use the inputs to both minimize my input use on the audio interface - and route audio to the iPad. No biggie either way, I have a workaround.

Much more interested in new sounds!

Posted : 25/04/2021 11:50 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

as well as a Pianet

The earlier (and more common) PIanet N sounded so much like a Wurli that it's hard to be sure which was used on a particular recording. The later Pianet T sounded a bit more like a Rhodes, though. I'm not saying these wouldn't be nice, but I don't see them as essentials, personally, just because of how close they are to other sounds. In terms of vintage EP sounds, I could probably make more of a case for something lke an RMI, not for its sound quality, but just because of its distinctiveness.

Transpose indicator on the screen - I think this is a universal request.

Yeah, that was already on ideascale, I upvoted that one too.

3. Wurli with a little more bite.....

Do you play the 73 or the 88? As I alluded to, I find it harder to get to the higher velocities on the 73, which does impede the ability to get the bites and barks. 😉 So the problem you're talking about may not be in the sample, but in the velocity mapping. Also, if the "Drive" knob isn't doing it for you, maybe you could try dialing in the other amp overdrive simulation, i.e. the "Dist" insert effect?

Posted : 26/04/2021 3:18 pm

It's a CP73. It's less of an issue now when playing the onboard sounds - but playing an external synth (in this case an FA 06 which is basically an unplayable keybed) I am not getting the high velocities at all, no matter the curve (of course fixed will send them as is). This is actually becoming a bit of a problem. I can ameliorate it if I run the MIDI through Ableton and use the velocity adjustment MIDI plug-in for VSTs, but routing it back to the FA which has some sounds I use frequently (plus tonewheel organ, but velocity is not an issue there of course) is pain of a "creative solution".

Definitely need a softer than soft at the least or user configuration of ranges/curves. It seems to me the velocity profiles are tuned to the CP88 so more options need to be there for the 73.

Posted : 01/05/2021 9:31 pm

I've now done a lot of experimentation with the different velocity situations and have come to the conclusion the CP73 just isn't sending anything above around 113 velocity via MIDI and that's if you literally hammer the crap out of the keys (it's consistent across the whole board). Playing the internal sounds seems better - perhaps the high volume samples are between 100-113, but it does partially explain the "bite" issue if that is not the case.

This REALLY needs to be fixed. My only workaround for VST instruments is to use Ableton's velocity MIDI "effect" where I can adjust the curve relative to the incoming velocity - which, with some tweaking, fixes it. My FA has another MIDI receive velocity modifier that helps a little. But this is time spent that should be spent playing and making music - I was drawn to the CP73 for its simplicity and nice keybed feel, not constant computer adjustments!

Posted : 13/05/2021 2:51 am
Bad Mister

I've now done a lot of experimentation with the different velocity situations and have come to the conclusion....

Can you share one or more of your experimentation. There is always a possibility that you missed something very basic.

Posted : 13/05/2021 8:18 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us