Synth Forum

Getting XS 6 to App...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting XS 6 to Appear Again as VST in Cubase - Worked on My Other Windows 10 Box, Not This One

21 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I should add my DynAudio monitors are on ports 1 & 2 and a separate headphone distribution amp on ports 7 & 8 in case you are wondering what those represent in the control room view

Posted : 12/09/2020 12:55 am
Bad Mister

This is like an unfolding onion — so many layers... okay we’re down to how the Audio is returned to your audio interface.

You are using the SPDIF In as Audio Return for the Motif XS. You need to check the routing with the MR816CSX... You want to monitor the SPDIF In.

I no longer have my FW gear setup to troubleshoot this... but there is an application to run the MR816CSX...

We have routed the XS signal back to the computer, we have told Cubase to look for this audio from the SPDIF In... you need to work in the MR to make sure the SPDIF signal reaches your MR Outputs 1 and 2.

I’ll try to find my MR Editor — and see if it jogs my memory... standby

Posted : 12/09/2020 2:03 am
Topic starter

Success! I found 2 things that needed to be addressed. First, for whatever reason the MR wanted to switch back to ADAT when doing new Cubase projects so I had to go change it from within Cubase sometimes. I don't know why that was happening, but it did. I also switched the cabling over to S/PDIF Coax and can hear sound now. I am going to take it for a spin to see if everything associated with this is working but it definitely appears to be the case.

I will report back here soon, but in the meantime want to say thanks so much for all of your help. The directions were very clear and I appreciate you sticking with it to help me get this working again. Thanks!

Posted : 12/09/2020 1:26 pm
Topic starter

I can trigger the sound of Channel 1 of the VST from the XS and the Editor's virtual keyboard with no problem (piano patch). I set channel 2 on VST to strings and can hear that channel when I select it and play the virtual keyboard in the Editor. I have set the XS to transmit on channel 2 but it is not triggering channel 2 on the VST. I put a MIDI monitor on the track in Cubase and see the XS is still transmitting on channel 1. So, I need to change something in the XS to transmit on the proper channel. Note I changed it to channel 2 on the XS' Utility screen in the field called "Keyboard Transmit Ch" but think I must need to change it somewhere else or am doing something wrong on the XS so am digging around a bit.

I posted the MIDI monitor output in the attached picture.

Attached files

Posted : 12/09/2020 1:50 pm
Bad Mister

On the Motif XS
Set “Local Control” = Off

This disconnects the XS keyboard from the Motif XS tone generator, so that the Cubase MIDI Track does all the Channelizing.

When Local Control = Off...
Nothing will sound when you play the Motif XS keys unless you *select* a Cubase MIDI Track.
That MIDI Track will determine where the signal goes and what it triggers.

In order to trigger any device, you must select a MIDI Track that you have set to RECEIVE —>] MIDI IN from the XS, and that MIDI Track should set to MIDI OUT [—> to the device you want to sound... That little number just below the MIDI OUT determines which Channel Cubase is going to Output that Track’s data On.

Reminder: Selecting a MIDI Track in Cubase will automatically put you in touch with the instrument and Channel connected to that Track (your Track Inspector)
Local Control = Off on the XS, means it does NOT matter what channel it is sending... Cubase redirects the data going Out... which determines who is going to sound.
Hint: Local Control can be set to OFF in the Motif XS Editor as long as you are ONLINE (lower left corner using the MIDI Quick Setups, or by going to FIILE > HARDWARE UTILITY)
Or press on the Motif XS itself by pressing [UTILITY] > [F5] MIDI > [SF2] CONTROL > Set “Local Control” = Off.

When setup properly: if you select a Cubase Track that is routed OUT to “Motif XS VST - MidiIn” and the Channel # is 1, the Editor will highlight Part 1, and what you play on the XS keys will appear on the Editor’s little keyboard (that’s a MIDI Monitor).
If you select a Cubase Track that is routed OUT to “Motif XS VST - MidiIn” and the Channel # is 2, the Editor will automatically highlight Part 2, and what you play on the XS keys will appear on the Editor’s little keyboard.

If you select a Cubase Track that is routed to a third party VSTi, again, if the MIDI IN is from the XS, the MIDI OUT would be set in that a Track’s Track Inspector... you would NOT OUTPUT it to the Motif XS VST, you would OUTPUT it to whatever the plugin name is... and you would set the Channel # on the Inspector (if there is one) to whatever that plugin requires (some plugins cannot set MIDI CH - that’s when you use a TRACK INSTRUMENT (it only receives on whatever you send)

With “Local Control” = Off you let the software DAW handle all routing duties!
You can leave the XS’s KEYBOARD TRANSMIT Channel alone.

Please remember to turn “Local Control” back On when you wish to play the XS normally (not connected to the computer).

Posted : 12/09/2020 3:58 pm
Topic starter

Bingo - local control works with multiple MIDI tracks set to the different channel numbers and directed to the rack instrument. What a ride - thanks again for your help! 😀

Posted : 12/09/2020 6:18 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us