Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

1-part Performances that ONLY play external MIDI sounds?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I am trying to create a 1-Part Performance that ONLY triggers an external sound over MIDI (via the Zone Master function). The only way I've found to do it is to start with a regular 1-Part sound, add the zone routing I want, and hit the mute box for the internal sound. Is that the best way to do this?

Posted : 04/02/2021 1:43 am
Bad Mister

Yes, use the Zone Master function...
Initialize a Single Part Performance
An internal sound must occupy the Part slot.

Select Part 1
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Part Settings” > “Zone Settings”
Set the Zone Switch = On
Set the INT SW = OFF (Internal Switch) - this is how to defeat the internal Part
You can now set a “Transmit Ch” to send Out via MIDI

Use the “Zone Transmit” page set what Controllers will feed this Zone.

Posted : 04/02/2021 2:58 am
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for confirming that the first part must be an internal sound, even if your goal is to disable it and trigger an external one, and it's good to see that INT SW = OFF is the preferred way to silence it. It also occurs to me that the selection of the internal sound for that part actually has relevance, even if it will never sound, because I assume that the chosen internal sound will also determine which category this Performance comes up in. My goal here is to include some 1-part Performances that are iPad sounds, and so be able to integrate internal and iPad sounds seamlessly in a Performance (i.e. when I add a Part, I can as easily add some of my favorite iPad sounds as I can native MODX sounds, since I will have appropriately named and categorized 1-Part performances by which I can recall them). I've looked for this kind of capability in the past, even suggested something like this to a couple of manuacturer's reps who I've met, but this may be the first board to do this so nicely. (Well, and Montage.) I need to get back to playing with this idea to see if there are any gotcha's to it. 😉

Posted : 18/02/2021 12:43 am
Prominent Member
Topic starter

just updating this with a link to another relevant thread, which explains why my post #2 above is wrong (you can actually put the sound in any category you want, regardless of what "silent" internal sound you assigned to the Part), and also has some tips about naming and categorizing things to be able to easily differentiate between your internal and external sounds (which is important for when you may be playing without your external device connected).

see: https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/preventing-parts-from-sending-midi-globally

Posted : 24/08/2021 5:53 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us